Science Homework Help

legend8887

What causes the moon phases? I keep getting different answers from everywhere.

Edit: The only problem is is that I don't know how to word the answer. Type the answer as if someone asked you.

read your book.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The angle it makes with the sun and earth.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Use. Common. Sense. And. Or. Reason. 

If all else fails, Google it

god's love ,Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18

1. God.

Physics.

Geometry.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What causes the moon phases? I keep getting different answers from everywhere.

Edit: The only problem is is that I don't know how to word the answer. Type the answer as if someone asked you.

googles your best friend 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The moons rotational path is elliptical, not a circle. The shadow of Earth and position relative to the sun and moon varies by the night. 

Error: 410

So, the moon's phases are not caused by the shadow of the Earth falling on the moon. In fact the shadow of the Earth falls on the moon only twice a year, when there are lunar eclipses.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

googles your best friend 

That's what I meant when I said I was getting all different answers from everyone.

The phases of the moon are not caused by the earth's shadow, they are caused on the positioning of you relative to the moon.

6LFzn.png

Basically, only one half of the moon is ever lit. The other half is always dark. We see different phases because of where the moon is located relative to us, as shown by my bad diagram. If you have any more questions, shoot :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB