Windows10 install issue PLEASE HELP.

Mahbub

so i did a fresh install of windows 10.installed all my games and apps. then i wanted to install windows 10 on a second partition. i downloaded iso file extracted it and got into the installation process and selected "Keep my files" option and went ahead hoping it would show me drive list to install on, but instead it started installing on top of my existing windows installation.. i realised this when the install was at 3%.. and then i pressed the cancel button. i wanna ask did the 3% installation cause any change in my existing os? my OCD is kicking me. do i need to do a fresh clean install.. did the 3% install of new windows on top of existing one i did by mistake alter anything in the win10 i have now? help.

23 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

so i did a fresh install of windows 10.installed all my games and apps.

Great!

then i wanted to install windows 10 on a second partition.

Huh? Why? You want 2x Windows 10?

i downloaded iso file extracted it and got into the installation process and selected "Keep my files" option and went ahead hoping it would show me drive list to install on, but instead it started installing on top of my existing windows installation..

I think you miss understood the setup wizard. The setup wizard was saying to you if you wanted to upgrade. So basically what you were doing is upgrade your current install of Windows 10 to Windows 10. Not very productive in this case. Hehe.

What you need to do is first make a partition in your drive of sufficient size for OS, update, apps, and whatever else. Then, what you need to do, is prepare a USB flash drive with Windows 10 setup (you can use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool for this), or use the disk method, and boot from it. Inside the setup when you boot from the drive, you pick install, pick the empty and newly created partition. And now you'll have 2x Windows 10. (Mind you, I have no idea if they'll fight for activation or not).

i realised this when the install was at 3%.. and then i pressed the cancel button. i wanna ask did the 3% installation cause any change in my existing os? my OCD is kicking me. do i need to do a fresh clean install.. did the 3% install of new windows on top of existing one i did by mistake alter anything in the win10 i have now? help.

If you canceled it, then it should be fine.  It really does the update once you restart the system. It probably was in the scanning stages. When you cancel the setup, it gracefully cancel the process, that means it should clean itself up.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Great!

Huh? Why? You want 2x Windows 10?

I think you miss understood the setup wizard. The setup wizard was saying to you if you wanted to upgrade. So basically what you were doing is upgrade your current install of Windows 10 to Windows 10. Not very productive in this case. Hehe.

What you need to do is first make a partition in your drive of sufficient size for OS, update, apps, and whatever else. Then, what you need to do, is prepare a USB flash drive with Windows 10 setup (you can use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool for this), or use the disk method, and boot from it. Inside the setup when you boot from the drive, you pick install, pick the empty and newly created partition. And now you'll have 2x Windows 10. (Mind you, I have no idea if they'll fight for activation or not).

If you canceled it, then it should be fine.  It really does the update once you restart the system. It probably was in the scanning stages. When you cancel the setup, it gracefully cancel the process, that means it should clean itself up.

thank u.. so then i believe i dont need to heed my ocd which is telling me to do a fresh install again...