ubuntu on a guest room machine good or bad idea

So as the title suggests I have a spare computer that has no current hard drive with it I was using it for a work computer that used ubuntu on a usb thumb drive. Was thinking though for a guest room at my house if putting ubuntu with I believe it was libre office and skype would be a good or bad idea. I think it would be a good idea I stay away from having to pay for windows. Any thoughts.

A6-6400K 3.9 GHZ

ASUS A55BM-E Socket FM2+ A55 mATX

4 GGB of DDR3 1600

32 GB SSD (I would place the os on a old corsair nova drive I have)

Acer 19 inch 1620x1050 display

I really like Ubuntu because it made my old laptop actually usable i recommend it a lot but others would recommend like Linux mint

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Bad idea, most consumers can barely use windows, let alone ubuntu.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I think it's a great idea! Ubuntu is fast, easy to use and infinitely cheaper than windows. Just remember to uninstall the amazon advertising and other bloat if you are going for vanilla ubuntu (I use xubuntu becuase it's a bit lighter).

Pilates

It sounds better than windows if the usage knowledge was there.

Well since it would be placed in the guest room of my house it would just be for simple things. Web browsing, maybe light typing/office work, and skype perhaps so pretty everything but gaming. Even though the APU I have can probably handle some gaming.

I think it's a great idea! Ubuntu is fast, easy to use and infinitely cheaper than windows. Just remember to uninstall the amazon advertising and other bloat if you are going for vanilla ubuntu (I use xubuntu becuase it's a bit lighter).

Yea I think I would like to stick with default ubuntu just because the bottom bar is fairly close to windows with a few exceptions of course. I like the idea of a lighter OS but having the ease of navigation is good to.

I really like Ubuntu because it made my old laptop actually usable i recommend it a lot but others would recommend like Linux mint

Yea I had a similiar experience with ubuntu with a laptop I was using for work with the thumb drive but then moved to build a cheap APU build given that I live very close to micro center.

Well since it would be placed in the guest room of my house it would just be for simple things. Web browsing, maybe light typing/office work, and skype perhaps so pretty everything but gaming. Even though the APU I have can probably handle some gaming.

Yea I think I would like to stick with default ubuntu just because the bottom bar is fairly close to windows with a few exceptions of course. I like the idea of a lighter OS but having the ease of navigation is good to.

Yea I had a similiar experience with ubuntu with a laptop I was using for work with the thumb drive but then moved to built a cheap APU build given that I live very close to micro center.

yeah i plan to make my current PC an ubuntu machine after i build my next one

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

I think it is a great idea. Especially if you get one with a "windows" desktop feel.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |