My issues with Windows 10 and Multi Monitors, anyone else?

duke101

My setup and config:

• 6700k, Asus z170i, GTX 1080
  • Win 10, 1903
  • 1440p ultrawide and 3 1080p 16:9 displays... using the 3 DP connections and a HDMI on the GTX 1080
  • That HDMI is connected to a stereo receiver to passthrough to a TV 

When the receiver turns on/off, Windows detects a new or a lost display. I have my power settings to turn off displays after a couple minutes of inactivity. These two are the main causes of my issues, but Win7 handled them fine and these are part of my workflow. I also utilize Google's Chrome Remote Desktop, similar behavior when working locally or remotely and when that connection is created or closed.

Bugs and issues when display changes occur that I've come across after switching from Win7 where these did not exist:

• Window positions don't save previous positions, almost like one display gets detected too quickly and many windows jump to that first detected display because it thinks only one display is active.
  • Window sizes don't save previous sizes, most of the time my windows are maximized but when relaunching apps they're a small window.
  • While actively using the system a display will go black and come back after a few seconds. The 'No Signal' doesn't appear, just a black screen.
  • Random short audio cracks/pops coming from monitors built in speakers, even when that audio device is disabled in control panel.
  • Windows gives each display number/ID (those 1,2,3 ID's in display properties) and those occasionally change. I use Dual Monitor Tools for multiple wallpapers, which this bug moves wallpapers around.
  • Moving/dragging windows between two displays will get stuck at the edge of the current display and need to try multiple times to move into the next display.

Some software I've installed and things I've tried to change to fix those issues:

• ShellFolderFix helps with keeping Windows Explorer windows in previous positions, but doesn't help with other apps or when a single display get detected too quickly.
  • For the black screen and audio popping, I've updated Nvidia drivers and bought new displayport cables (CableMatter cables suggested from Level1Techs) but still occurring maybe even worse than before.
  • GTX1080 firmware updated for DP 1.3/14, this was done in Win7.
  • It is suggested to turn Snap windows off in Settings to prevent windows from getting stuck when dragging them to another display, but this also disables features I'd like to use.
  • Installed PowerToys, FancyZones seems like it should help with the window snapping and positioning but doesn't.

Am I the only one with these issues? Does anyone else come across these issues? Have you found anything to fix it for you? I'm open to any suggestions or alternatives.

Thanks

On 10/23/2019 at 6:11 AM, duke101 said:

<snip>

You might wanna try out displayfusion. It has helped me with massive multi monitor issues including but not limited to my drawing tablet inputting on the wrong screen. Laptop display just not turning on without detaching all monitors, random window positions on the edges, snapping issues when dragging,...

Edited by Spotty
Snip long quote

i had a similar issue when i used a TV for my main display. i don't have a solution. 

She/Her

20 hours ago, duke101 said:

Bugs and issues when display changes occur that I've come across after switching from Win7 where these did not exist:

• Window positions don't save previous positions, almost like one display gets detected too quickly and many windows jump to that first detected display because it thinks only one display is active.

Windows positioning is handled by the application itself. Windows doesn't handle this. All Windows does, if no position/size is specified by the application, it is to put it at the top left of the main screen with a vertical and horizontal padding on each following unsupported window with a certain size.

Like so:
cascade_screenshot.png

• Window sizes don't save previous sizes, most of the time my windows are maximized but when relaunching apps they're a small window.

Contact the developer of the application to fix their window size and position code.

• While actively using the system a display will go black and come back after a few seconds. The 'No Signal' doesn't appear, just a black screen.

Contact with the manufacture of your module that you are using, or the graphics card manufacture as a driver bug.

• Random short audio cracks/pops coming from monitors built in speakers, even when that audio device is disabled in control panel.
  • Windows gives each display number/ID (those 1,2,3 ID's in display properties) and those occasionally change. I use Dual Monitor Tools for multiple wallpapers, which this bug moves wallpapers around.

Contact with the manufacture of your module that you are using. 

• Moving/dragging windows between two displays will get stuck at the edge of the current display and need to try multiple times to move into the next display.

Make sure both monitors have the same resolution and is positioned correctly in your graphic card control panel or Windows Settings panel (under Displays).

Am I the only one with these issues? Does anyone else come across these issues? Have you found anything to fix it for you? I'm open to any suggestions or alternatives.

Yes. Connect your displays directly to the graphics card, and most of your issues will be solved.

If you want to turn off a display, and your displays support DDC/CI protocol (most monitors starting 1998 support it unless displayed in the monitor on screen menu, or you have garbage screens) you can execute a DDC/CI call from your system to turn the display off. This is how many companies do, where after a certain time or day, a software on the system execute a sleep or turn off call to the monitor. They are software solutions for this which you can purchase. Some monitors manufactures like Dell and HP has a software solution available.