Which RAM setup should I use?

meRed5

Hey Guys,

this summer i built my first gaming pc. 

the setup is:

• motherboard: ASRock B360M Pro4
  • CPU: Intel i5-9400F
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060

And i bought a CORSAIR 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz Ramkit too. Unfortunately, the RAM was bad straight out of the box. However the warranty covered it, so i got a brand new package of Corsair RAM, but it took 2 months. So i bought a Hyperx 16GB Fury DDR4 2666MHz  single slot ram, which is in my PC right now, and the Corsair RAM sits here. 

The problem is, my motherboard only supports 2666 MHz ram, yes, and i bought the corsair kit.

My question is: should I sell the corsair kit, and stick with Hyperx ram, or is it worth trying to put the Corsair in to the PC (as again, the motherboard does not support 3000 MHz)?

Hi there and welcome!

Technically 3000mhz ram should work, it should just clock down automatically to 2666mhz if thats the max supported.

I would also go for that option to take advantage of the 2 sticks you have, named dual channelling.

This will increase your performance overall, compared to 1 stick.

Depending on your motherboard and future plans, you may want to consider buying an additional 16gb stick, preferably of the same make as the fury.

This way you can upgrade to 32gb, which can be beneficial as well, depending on your use case.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti