Hello peeps! Took me way to long to finally join this forum, but now I'm here! I would like to ask a maybe very basic question. I have better knowledge of computer parts than most people I know, but I am in no way as "tech-y" as most people I've met online, haha.. 

I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU for a while now. I currently have a 4790k, and it still gets the job done very well. But, I really want the features of the newer chipsets, like M.2 support, and DDR4 support. So with a very basic googling and watching of LTT videos, I've come to the conclusion of either gushing out the big bucks and buying an i9 (living in florida, I don't think I have the year-round cooling capacity for an i9 tho haha), or deciding between a 9700k and a 8700k. But an issue cropped up that is still incredibly confusing to me; Hyperthreading. I watched Luke's video explaining what it is and how it works, but I still don't understand the real-life benefits to having it. The 9700k has more cores, and a higher turbo clock, but no HT. Meanwhile the 8700k has less cores, and a (slightly) smaller turbo clock, but has HT.

What is the actual performance-to-performance difference between a CPU that has HT versus one that doesn't? The two CPUs are pretty much the same price, so is one more worth the money or not? I mainly use my computer for gaming and light video editing. (I can live without blender renders lol) Is a different CPU more worth it? I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to jump ship and switch to team red just yet. Should I just wait another year or two? Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated :)

15 minutes ago, Dorraj said:

Well since you are upgrading, I would suggest the 3600 (half the price) or 3700x (same price) for the same performance more or less as the 8700k. Unless AMD is a no then 9700k above 8700k they also perform kind of the same.

I9.  Wish I did it. I wasn’t happy with my 4790k but the 8700k was worlds better. Still isn’t enough. 

Could check out this new red team stuff. Or wait a bit to see how it effects the pricing of intel.  

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz