Is my hard drive dying?

Tilaron

Had a few issues today which I also had a few weeks ago while listening to music on my 4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0 to be precise) where it'll pause 3-4 times for a second at a time, then play normally. In resource monitor it shoots up to 100% usage but with 0 read speed when this happens, while playing normally it'll remain at around 2% and a steady 2MB/s-ish read speed. I've had winamp setup the same way for years and never had this issue before and I've had no major updates recently that would affect audio settings. It's defragged automatically by windows regularly and as I type this it has been behaving for about 20 minutes of music listening.

Attached is the SMART result in HWiNFO if it helps, not sure what else I should really check as I've never had a hard drive die slowly, they've either worked for ever or been DoA.

SMART.jpg

3 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Use crystaldiskinfo to instantly check health

It says 'caution' with the same warnings as HWiNFO, but I don't understand if my problem is a symptom of these errors or not.

13 minutes ago, Tilaron said:

It says 'caution' with the same warnings as HWiNFO, but I don't understand if my problem is a symptom of these errors or not.

Backup your data and await failure. All mechanical goods fail with use over time, but as long as you have a backup, it won't matter since you can just replace the drive & restore from said backup when it does eventually fail.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Backup your data and await failure. All mechanical goods fail with use over time, but as long as you have a backup, it won't matter since you can just replace the drive & restore from said backup when it does eventually fail.

Oh well, black friday isn't far now. Got backups so I'll just pick up something bigger! Phooey!

1 minute ago, Tilaron said:

Oh well, black friday isn't far now. Got backups so I'll just pick up something bigger! Phooey!

To be clear, CAUTION values don't mean it's going to fail anytime soon - I had a 3TB Seagate drive shucked from a GoFlex NAS enclosure back in 2012 that was overheating and throwing re-allocated sector warnings for the last 6 years, and yet, it only just died this spring. It's just that drives can fail without any warning values at all, so your backups will save you - glad you have them made. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

...It's just that drives can fail without any warning values at all, so your backups will save you - glad you have them made. :) 

Exactly!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!