Random PC crashes and 16 volts an +12V rail (in asus ai suite)

Laurensvdg

Hey people, 

I just ran into some VERY strange problems with my system.

Earlier today my screen went totally black while watching a youtube vid in chrome. The reset button and pressing the  power button on my pc didn't do anything and all the fans were still spinning. After turning off the power supply I was finally able to reboot but ran into the same problem a few minutes later.

I started monitoring ASUS AI suite 3 because i thought some part of my pc might be overheating (at this point i had removed every overclock in the bios and even turned my ram back to auto from it's usual 3200 mhz frequency...)

I was able to record these strange numbers on my phone.IMG_20191010_230143.thumb.jpg.b8513c045346d01be3e68c9db334f3a4.jpg

Naturally i resstarted the pc and everything went back to normal...

I had another crash after watching a bitwit video in fullscreen, but somehow after a restart ( with turning off the power supply since the power button did not work) it's working again :D

I'm writing from this wierd pc right now and really hopw someone can tell me what the problem might be...

Parts:

Strix b450i

ryzen 5 2600x

some gskill ripjaws 3200 kit (16 gigs)

samsung 970 evo

strix 1070 ti

corsair SF600

I updated to the latest bios some time between the first and third crash ; all the settings are set to asus default

i'm cooling the CPU with a 240 mm aio and...

basically i want to know if my MOBO or my PSU is toast or if everything is kinda alright 

sorry for the bad english and spelling. I'm in a hurry because this PC might crash again ?‍♂️

Those issues do unfortunately sound like a faulty psu....... Did u upgrade or replace your psu lately and when did this problem start?

Ignore the voltage readings. They are completely useless and don't tell you anything. The motherboard seems to be broken. The broken CPU temperature reading and fan RPM reading should be enough reason to get it replaced. Return it to the store, or use the manufacturer warranty.

:)

I changed nothing. The GPU has only been in the system for 3 weeks and i upgraded the cooler from a small noctua one to a big aio, but the aio and GPU have been running well in a different system for over a year. The problems started out of nowhere.

Btw: without any youtube fullscreen videos the system has been up for almost 40 minutes without any crashes

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Ignore the voltage readings. They are completely useless and don't tell you anything. The motherboard seems to be broken. The broken CPU temperature reading and fan RPM reading should be enough reason to get it replaced. Return it to the store, or use the manufacturer warranty.

That sounds okay to me (the motherboard is 11 months old, so no problem here), but right now its working fine. Usually failed motherboards are broken all the time and not only a few times a day, or am I wrong?

Is there any way i can troubleshoot this without replacing the motherboard?

If anyone is still interested:

I had a full day of usage and about 5 minutes ago the PC crashed again. I'm gonna send my motherboard back to the vendor in about a week (holiday coming up). Lets hope that fixes it.