3700x - PBO - what should I do?

Hi there everyone

It's been a while since I've dabbled in overclocking and Pc Hardware in general. I built my last system back when Skylake just came out. Back then, I had a pretty OK grasp of overclocking my 6600k and later a 6700k to a point where I got stable and good results without going too deep into the fine details. 

Last week I decided to finally upgrade my system with a 3700k, a new motherboard and some more RAM to go to 32Gb. All the rest has stayed the same. Here are my system's specs:

AMD Ryzen 3700x with be quiet! dark rock pro 4 cooler

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

32GB Corsair Vengeance lpx ddr4 3000 in 4 x 8GB sticks

GTX 1080ti

I use the system for gaming, video editing, animating in after effects and photo work, all in pretty much equal amounts. 

Now here's my question: 

I tried to get an idea about overclocking 3rd gen ryzen, but I feel like so much has changed since I last overclocked Skylake, to a point where I feel like going the easy route is more viable for me :P . It's honestly pretty confusing to me, seems completely different with stuff like OCing the infinity fabric and stuff. Anyways, all I want is good performance from the 3700x, I don't care about an extra 200Mhz in clock, which is where the advantage seems to be at with manual overclocking. So: Is enabling Precision Boost Overdrive in Ryzen Master all I need to do to get a little better performance out of the CPU or should I be simultaneously adjusting anything in the BIOS? Like undervolting maybe? 

I'm looking for a very stable and reliable platform that runs great (which it does for me pretty much already.)

Here's what I've done so far: Enabled PBO in Ryzen Master, enabled A-XMP and set RAM to proper frequency in BIOS

Really appreciate your help :)

Cheers

historicalpoultry

Before you do any sort of OC'ing, make sure your case has very good airflow. Hardware Unboxed did a test of various X570 mobos for thermals, the Gaming Edge came out with the worst result. What PSU do you have?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I would just leave the CPU running with PBO really.. I would mainly look at overclocking that ram for sure. Should be some decent guides around now for overclocking RAM with the new AMD CPUs. 

Yeah I'd also just enable PBO, check what kinds of temperatures you are getting, then limit the power limits for PBO until you are happy with the temperature. At least on my board the PBO basically removes the limits and pushes everything it can offer without melting :D

For now I disabled PBO from mine because the temperature, voltages and current seemed crazy. I plan on enabling it once I have time to update my BIOS from Zen2 launch BIOS for my board, but before that I have some critical projects I need to finish first, can't risk a failed BIOS update right now.

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

6 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Before you do any sort of OC'ing, make sure your case has very good airflow. Hardware Unboxed did a test of various X570 mobos for thermals, the Gaming Edge came out with the worst result. What PSU do you have?

Yes, I've seen the Hardware Unboxed review. I felt like it wasn't a real critical point for me as I am not looking for the absolute most performance. I value quietness and 100% stability more. And I got a pretty good deal on it :P  PSU is Corsair hx850i and case is Fractal meshifiy s2, airflow is great, I've populated pretty much all the fan mounting options.