Will the x299e-ITX/ac support a thermal probe fitting?

Go to solution Solved by tzaitam,
7 minutes ago, TensorVortex said:

True i thought you are plugging the thermal probe on the motherboard, that would be quite impossible if the motherboard doesn't provide correct thermal probe.

If you use a thermal probe reader, then you should be able to set correct parameter for the probe.

My experience is different, I have both Water in and Water out temp headers on my motherboard and have connected a random probe to the Water In-header and it just works.

@Mbowen That motherboard does not seem to have the required headers and I would recommend getting some device that can get you that functionality like a Corsair Commander Pro or similar. It will let you control fan- and pump-speed based on water temperature which is a lot easier to dial in especially if you have both a CPU and GPU in your loop.

I've been planning out  a custom build for a little while. Basically Halo themed because I've always been a big Halo nerd. I stumbled onto this product. It's a g1/4 plug that's been fitted with a thermal probe. I figured it would be a good way to monitor the system. But I've been looking around to see if it will work with the x299e-ITX/ac and I haven't been able to find an answer. It's not a necessity, but it would be nice. 

I found the motherboard manual online here. There seems to be some useful information on the layout of the board on pages 6-9. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for though. 

419Z644ONOL._AC_.jpg

This is my first full-system loop so I'm sorry if I'm a little inexperienced with this. 

usually probes like that need a dedicated temp readout in the form of a adittional display in your system. 

i actually use the exact same plug in my loop but with a cheapo-temp display.

Spoiler

IMG_20190324_183639.thumb.jpg.b0a7447c1eb01c1feadbed961721056b.jpg

Just now, RollinLower said:

usually probes like that need a dedicated temp readout in the form of a adittional display in your system. 

Reveal hidden contents

Any chance you got a link for that display? I've been considering getting one for my loop a well.

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

Reveal hidden contents

yah probe need custom correct definition of what resistance and stuff. they are not inter-changable or sharable.

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

usually probes like that need a dedicated temp readout in the form of a additional display in your system. 

Reveal hidden contents

I was more thinking of using one of my other 3 screens and a rainmeter monitor. I can't really put a screen easily into the case because it's a Ghost S1. :(

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Any chance you got a link for that display? I've been considering getting one for my loop a well.

You can use whatever display you want. I'd suggest using a cheap HDMI. There are tons for raspberry pi's that are 4-7" and you can use something like Dual Monitor Tools to make it easier for daily use. 

4 minutes ago, TensorVortex said:

yah probe need custom correct definition of what resistance and stuff. they are not inter-changeable or shareable.

Interesting. Care to elaborate? Because I'm pretty sure I can change all that stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

http://www.xs-pc.com/temperature-sensors/lcd-temperature-display-flat-sensor

be warned tough, it's pretty craptacular

4 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

You can use whatever display you want. I'd suggest using a cheap HDMI. There are tons for raspberry pi's that are 4-7" and you can use something like Dual Monitor Tools to make it easier for daily use. 

not really, the display i have is just a sata powered temp readout. 

it only has a sata power and sensor in.

Just now, Mbowen said:

Interesting. Care to elaborate? Because I'm pretty sure I can change all that stuff. 

True i thought you are plugging the thermal probe on the motherboard, that would be quite impossible if the motherboard doesn't provide correct thermal probe.

If you use a thermal probe reader, then you should be able to set correct parameter for the probe.

7 minutes ago, TensorVortex said:

My experience is different, I have both Water in and Water out temp headers on my motherboard and have connected a random probe to the Water In-header and it just works.

@Mbowen That motherboard does not seem to have the required headers and I would recommend getting some device that can get you that functionality like a Corsair Commander Pro or similar. It will let you control fan- and pump-speed based on water temperature which is a lot easier to dial in especially if you have both a CPU and GPU in your loop.

1 minute ago, tzaitam said:

cool info, pretty sure those water flow temp probe are all regulated to use the same resistance probe.

50 minutes ago, tzaitam said:

I would like to thank you for your help and giving me a definitive answer. I often don't come here to actually ask questions because of how this thread was turning out.

I find it quite funny how you can come to the LTT forums and ask a pretty standard Yes/No question and have 10-12 responses with no clear answers or just off topic replies in general.