Best Audio for Crowded Events

I'm debating trying something different for my SEMA 2019 coverage as far as audio solutions are concerned. 

Last year I ran a Sennheiser MD46 (cardioid handheld mic) that I attached to a Zoom H4n. Now I bought the mic off eBay and it clearly has a rough life. The audio sounded pretty flat and unimpressive overall. I spoke with a Sennheiser rep and he said he thinks the mic was broken to sound like that. 

This event is large and busy with a lot going on. So constant background noise is an issue as is interference potentially. Thus why I went with a wired cardioid mic last year. 

I don't quite know what way to go this year. I sold the Sennheiser mic and figured I'd just rent whatever I use this year. My Rode Filmmaker Kit (wireless lav) I worry would cause too much issue and pick up too much noise. I'm tempted to rent a MD46 for a weekend and see if it really was just my unit. 

Anyone have input on this? I'm doing event coverage, product releases, and a few interviews all on the fly. 

Here is a video with example of the poor audio quality at the beginning:

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.