Planning a new SFF build

Go to solution Solved by Conza,

Lovely build.

I have built in that case with that CPU cooler, love the CPU cooler got my 2600 to 4.1 all core and hovers around 65c under load, was very happy with it.

2080 Super at 1080p though? Maybe go to a 2070 Super? Depends on your games, consider the EVGA BLACK GAMING one for a bit more cash, might cool better than Nvidias cooler.

M.2 FTW, but not sure about NVME, I prefer Sata M.2 with more storage space, you won't notice it for gaming, as a workstation you may have some particular applications.

64GB is op, but pretty awesome.

Pretty solid, there might be workstation reasons for the NVME drive, 2080 S, check out maybe an ultra wide 1080p? Probably can't find that refresh rate though I guess, 1440p ultra wide? I have a Acer Predator X34p, 120hz, high enough refresh for me, 2080S will have no issues, more real estate for doing actual work.

Looks good!

Hey, 

I'm planning to build a small footprint workstation. I live in a studio so things being compact would be very helpful. I took a look at the NZXT 210 case, and something that size would be the upper limit of what I could fit at home. 

My current plan is to build in a RVZ03 case with the following configuration:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/shaunakde/saved/sVzL23

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($169.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Silverstone RVZ03 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($142.77 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ Corsair) 
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($194.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $2311.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-02 07:30 EDT-0400

This will primarily be used for deep learning experiments at home, so the major workload is on the GPU. Think 75-85% GPU load for hours/days on end. I've chosen the 2080 super (nvidia) but I could get a blower style one of the same card for about the same cost (if it's better for this build)

I choose a Ryzen 7 CPU, but I could easily downgrade that to Ryzen 5 to save a little cash and/or ensure better cooling. 

---

Sidenote: 

I am considering giving up a little more table space for the NZXT 210 though, because then I'd be able to use a mATx motherboard and find a more reasonable 64G ram kit / future 128G ram kit / better CPU cooling. Having said that I don't expect to stress the CPU that much. 

---

I live in San Francisco and I have access to a local frys and computer central where I expect to do most of my shopping. I'm looking to spend about 2k USD

Lovely build.

I have built in that case with that CPU cooler, love the CPU cooler got my 2600 to 4.1 all core and hovers around 65c under load, was very happy with it.

2080 Super at 1080p though? Maybe go to a 2070 Super? Depends on your games, consider the EVGA BLACK GAMING one for a bit more cash, might cool better than Nvidias cooler.

M.2 FTW, but not sure about NVME, I prefer Sata M.2 with more storage space, you won't notice it for gaming, as a workstation you may have some particular applications.

64GB is op, but pretty awesome.

Pretty solid, there might be workstation reasons for the NVME drive, 2080 S, check out maybe an ultra wide 1080p? Probably can't find that refresh rate though I guess, 1440p ultra wide? I have a Acer Predator X34p, 120hz, high enough refresh for me, 2080S will have no issues, more real estate for doing actual work.

Looks good!

Thanks for the reply! 

The Nvidia 2080 is primarily for deep learning. (Dont play games, find them too stressful lol, love watching others play!)

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the monitors. I probably wont buy the monitor right away and stick to my current work-issued Dell 23" ... but I'll keep in mind to look for a 1440p 144hz display when I do shop for that!

I could potentially get a smaller name drive and a second SATA high capacity drive for the money 

1 hour ago, shaunakde said:

(Dont play games, find them too stressful lol, love watching others play!)

Well, you certainly didn't play ABZU...)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/relaxing-games-chill-games Here, catch.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes