i5-4670 PicoPSU or new everything

Jenko32

I am making a server to host a minecraft server(3-4 players), having Plex and however I can use it for (always home use though). So I wanted to use an i5-4670 but unfortunately the PC has to be small and with the size I need I can't even fit a SFX PSU, I can buy a Mini-ITX 1150 motherboard for 50€ and I already have 8GB of RAM. Should I use this configuration or spend more to buy something modern?

P.S.: Can a 150W Pico PSU work with an i5 4670?

2 hours ago, Jenko32 said:

I am making a server to host a minecraft server(3-4 players), having Plex and however I can use it for (always home use though). So I wanted to use an i5-4670 but unfortunately the PC has to be small and with the size I need I can't even fit a SFX PSU, I can buy a Mini-ITX 1150 motherboard for 50€ and I already have 8GB of RAM. Should I use this configuration or spend more to buy something modern?

P.S.: Can a 150W Pico PSU work with an i5 4670?

I used the 150W Pico PSU with the 180W wall adaptor with an i5-4690 for several years and didn’t have an issue.

your components are fine for what you are trying to do.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I hope you realize you still need some power adapter to power the picoPSU with 12v... so you'll have the size of that adapter AND the picoPSU getting hot.

The picoPSU just passes through 12v, so your 12v adapter/brick/whatever would have to be powerful enough to power everything.

It will probably work, but you'll need a fan blowing some air over the picoPSU to stay cool.

What's the maximum height, or area you can reserve for the power supply?

20 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I hope you realize you still need some power adapter to power the picoPSU with 12v... so you'll have the size of that adapter AND the picoPSU getting hot.

The picoPSU just passes through 12v, so your 12v adapter/brick/whatever would have to be powerful enough to power everything.

It will probably work, but you'll need a fan blowing some air over the picoPSU to stay cool.

What's the maximum height, or area you can reserve for the power supply?

I've taken the external power brick into account, a 12V 12.5A. I think the power brick will not overheat (other than normal hot) I will put the server in a small table which is about 30cm from the ground, in case the overheat become a problem for any of the two (after trying to resolve) I'll return the case and PSU and mount into a bigger case at the expense of rearrange the necessary on the table

I recommend the 180W external brick that they sell as a kit with the Pico PSU 150W. Reason being that the PicoPSU (and all PSUs) can output 150W (whatever they are labelled as) but will draw more than that on the input side because they are not 100% efficient.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: