Micro SD card ingestion

Leafy1

I just started recording video in 4k and I'm kind of discovering that my SD card reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my desktops front panel isn't going to cut it for longer videos. Is there a product that plugs into a pcie slot and provides a usb3.0 connection to a front panel micro sd reader? I've found some stuff from the usual scumbags that looks on the surface like it would work but the card reader actually only connects to usb2.0 headers. I would just get a new case or a front panel only that plugs into usb3.0 headers, but one header is dead on my mobo and I have a dead controller for some of my built in USB so I have to use my other usb3.0 header for rear USB.

I know nothing about what you're trying to achieve, but if that doesn't work out, what you could do is buy a USB 3.0 extender cable, and then plug a USB 3.0 micro SD reader into that. I tried that once with my aforementioned hardware and it worked really well. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

If your SD Card reader built into the case (that's what I think I'm gathering here) has a USB 2.0 connection cable, changing to a 3.0 cable won't change it to a 3.0 Reader.  It will just be a 2.0 Reader on a 3.0 Cable. 

Get a cheap USB 3.0 Card Reader and plug it into a back port with an extension cable.  If you don't have extra 3.0 Ports on your I/O, then get a USB 3.0 Expansion Card.  Search for that on Newegg or wherever and you will find dozens of good options. 

And yes you need to step up to USB 3.0 for larger files.  Heck USB 3.0 isn't fast enough for me.  It is the slowest part of my work ingesting video off of SD Cards. So much so that I bought an External Recorder that records to SSDs so I don't have to deal with it anymore (among other benefits).

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

My SD card reader just plugs into USB, it might actually be usb3.0. I know I can just buy pcie USB expansion board and get an extension cable but I have all these unused 5.25" drive bays that I'd love to throw a card reader with maybe a few more front USB ports into. It would just a a cleaner look, and have that retro 90s gaming pc cred of putting random shit in drive bay slots.

5 hours ago, Leafy1 said:

My SD card reader just plugs into USB, it might actually be usb3.0. I know I can just buy pcie USB expansion board and get an extension cable but I have all these unused 5.25" drive bays that I'd love to throw a card reader with maybe a few more front USB ports into. It would just a a cleaner look, and have that retro 90s gaming pc cred of putting random shit in drive bay slots.

Sorry I misunderstood your issue. I thought your case had a built in card reader. 

This card will add two back USB 3.0 ports and 1 internal 3.0 Header. Requires a Sata connector for power delivery. So if you'll use the port to charge devices I'd plug it in. It's on sale right now for $17. 

https://m.newegg.com/product/9SIACJF54C2861?m_ver=1

Then you just need one of those 5.25" bay card reader USB port deals. I've got one floating around from Silverstone I know. I've not used it to say if it's any good, ended up not doing the project I got it for. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

Be warned that not all card readers perform the same; many of the cheaper USB 3.0 card readers don't actually perform to their full potential, and when you compare them to a good card reader from a reputable company, the difference is immediately obvious.

You might just want to outright replace the card reader; I personally use the ProGrade Digital Dual-Slot SD card reader:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1450886-REG/prograde_digital_pgrwsdhcxcana_pgd_sdxc_uhs_ii_usb.html

Not cheap, but it is the fastest and most well built card reader on the market. But it is money well spent if you are processing large files.