CPU Fan stops spinning?

cluelessgenius

so my friend just upgraded to

r5 3600

msi b450m mortar max

and for some reason the cpu fan completly stops spinning after a brief startup period. so he starts the system, then the fan will ramp up shortly then stop completly.

heres the kicker. thats only on the cpu fan header. if he plugs the cpu fan into a chassis fan header its fine and if he plug any others fan into the cpu fan header its the same behaviour.

anyone know this weirdness? any tips or experiences to share?

oh yeah it ramps up again when turning off just for a second. i mean i can see how one could configure it weirdly the the bios settings are out of the box

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

is the BIOS up to date? Sounds like a bug in the BIOS.. MSI is known to have shit BIOS's for AMD right now.. just look at the video that Jayztwocents released yesterday... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

is the BIOS up to date? Sounds like a bug in the BIOS.. MSI is known to have shit BIOS's for AMD right now.. just look at the video that Jayztwocents released yesterday... 

saw that video already :D but its not that dramatic. no i already checked the bios is the oldest one one the support page for that board but still since when is something simple like a fan header affected by that.

hes bringing it over tommorrow and ill recheck everything since im starting to distrust his building skills and suspect the board maybe shorting out somewhere

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

saw that video already :D but its not that dramatic. no i already checked the bios is the oldest one one the support page for that board but still since when is something simple like a fan header affected by that.

hes bringing it over tommorrow and ill recheck everything since im starting to distrust his building skills and suspect the board maybe shorting out somewhere

Well the "Max" boards were released to show that its 100% ready to go support the Ryzen 3000 series, its with the 3000 series BIOS's that are horribly buggy for all vendors still, MSI just worse than the rest. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well the "Max" boards were released to show that its 100% ready to go support the Ryzen 3000 series, its with the 3000 series BIOS's that are horribly buggy for all vendors still, MSI just worse than the rest. 

yeah but again im not crying about clock or voltage or whatever. this is a basic pwm signal. afaik theres nothing to update there

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

yeah but again im not crying about clock or voltage or whatever. this is a basic pwm signal. afaik theres nothing to update there

I have a similar issue on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero. My water pump would randomly reverse polarity and if say I had the pump set to 80% speed, it would actually reverse it and run it at 20%. This was on the WPump header as well as the CPU Fan header. Never had this problem until I upgraded to the BIOS to support my 3700x CPU. Now I have my pump plugged into my Corsair Commander Pro and let that control the RPM instead of BIOS because of it. So I can tell you first hand, the BIOS code AMD is shipping to vendors and the vendors themselves are releasing bad/buggy BIOS's as a result and its causing multiple problems. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I have a similar issue on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero. My water pump would randomly reverse polarity and if say I had the pump set to 80% speed, it would actually reverse it and run it at 20%. This was on the WPump header as well as the CPU Fan header. Never had this problem until I upgraded to the BIOS to support my 3700x CPU. Now I have my pump plugged into my Corsair Commander Pro and let that control the RPM instead of BIOS because of it. So I can tell you first hand, the BIOS code AMD is shipping to vendors and the vendors themselves are releasing bad/buggy BIOS's as a result and its causing multiple problems. 

alright it may be the bios but i just dont want to jump to conclusions to quickly just because its big news right now. so before going for the obvious i just wnt to check everything else first. because if it is bios and the newer one doesnt fix it then there nothing left to do but wait and blame the bios but if its anything else that can maybe be fixed the i want to find out.

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

alright it may be the bios but i just dont want to jump to conclusions to quickly just because its big news right now. so before going for the obvious i just wnt to check everything else first. because if it is bios and the newer one doesnt fix it then there nothing left to do but wait and blame the bios but if its anything else that can maybe be fixed the i want to find out.

if it is the BIOS as I suspect, best bet is to disable monitoring on the CPU fan header and just use a different header for the CPU fan to control PWM on it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if it is the BIOS as I suspect, best bet is to disable monitoring on the CPU fan header and just use a different header for the CPU fan to control PWM on it. 

thats the temporary solution i proposed for right now. and that works fine but i still would like to figure out whats with the cpu fan header

• 1 month later...

I am currently having the same issue with the Auros Elite B450 Board. I have a lot of troubleshooting left to do, but I wonder did you ever find a solution to this?

9 hours ago, GhostlyPleb said:

I am currently having the same issue with the Auros Elite B450 Board. I have a lot of troubleshooting left to do, but I wonder did you ever find a solution to this?

Sorry have t looked into it since. We plugged into one of the Chassis Fan Headers as a work around. Have you tried the newest bios? 

I actually solved my problem tonight by switching over to Voltage from PWM in the fan controller settings on the Bios, I reckon its just a bios bug that's the cause of all this. An update may confirm this but its going as is so!

20 hours ago, GhostlyPleb said:

I actually solved my problem tonight by switching over to Voltage from PWM in the fan controller settings on the Bios, I reckon its just a bios bug that's the cause of all this. An update may confirm this but its going as is so!

yeah but if you plug in a pwm fan thats not ideal.