Wanting opinions on my Minecraft server parts list

Squip

So I wanted to make a minecraft server for me and some friends. I already ordered these parts used.(i should have asked first lol) 

(lol typed all this on my phone realizing I could've made a pcpp list)

CPU - xeon e3 1220 v2 (used $15.00)

Motherboard - random used HP board (used $22.70)

RAM - 8 GB ddr3 (used $26.00)

GPU - Longish story - for now a 1070 ti until I can get a new motherboard for my pc because my wireless network card cant be put in without blocking the gpu and there's no Ethernet in my room. I could just use a pcie riser cable but I was planning on upgrading to zen2 in time. (I have A320MK) After I can get the 1070 ti in my pc I'll use an r9 270 thats in my rig.

PSU - 500W weird Japanese brand that I pulled from an old acer

HDD - for now all I have is a 175GB hard drive

CPU cooler - Arctic Xtreme ($35.00)

Case - H500 that was from an old system (glass broke lol)

Feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Hi there,

you mention a random hp board, I assume you've checked it's compatible with the cpu?

Does the board happen to have any form of onboard graphics? If so you can ditch your GPU.

On the topic of GPU that is insane overkill. A server really only needs basic video output for setup and maintenance, the game server itself will not benefit from a beefy GPU and you will just end up chewing power unnecessarily. perhaps look for a used gt710 or gt730? I know they are pretty cheap here atleast.

As for the cpu choice it should be perfectly fine,

ram amount looks fine unless you are going heavy on the mods.

I'd probably switch that HDD when possible for something more modern/faster/reliable.

Weird PSU raises concerns, worth investing in something reputable If you plan on leaving the server running.

11 minutes ago, Verified said:

Hi there,

you mention a random hp board, I assume you've checked it's compatible with the cpu?

Does the board happen to have any form of onboard graphics? If so you can ditch your GPU.

On the topic of GPU that is insane overkill. A server really only needs basic video output for setup and maintenance, the game server itself will not benefit from a beefy GPU and you will just end up chewing power unnecessarily. perhaps look for a used gt710 or gt730? I know they are pretty cheap here atleast.

As for the cpu choice it should be perfectly fine,

ram amount looks fine unless you are going heavy on the mods.

I'd probably switch that HDD when possible for something more modern/faster/reliable.

Weird PSU raises concerns, worth investing in something reputable If you plan on leaving the server running.

Yes, the motherboard is lga1155 and why shouldnt i use the r9 270 if I have it spare? I do also have a gt 630 if it would be better to put that to use. Thanks for the feedback

53 minutes ago, Squip said:

Yes, the motherboard is lga1155 and why shouldnt i use the r9 270 if I have it spare? I do also have a gt 630 if it would be better to put that to use. Thanks for the feedback

Although it's the same socket, the fact that it's a "random HP board" as you say, doesn't necessarily mean it's supported with the board, especially if it's from a random pre-built.

You can certainly use the r9 270, it's just it will draw more power even if idling. More power means higher running costs.. And of course heat, but if it's a machine you only intend on turning on when you or your friends are online then that won't really matter.

Also you mention there is no internet in your room, does this mean you intend on using a Wi-Fi card in the server or placing the server near wired access? I would certainly suggest the latter.