Questions about GPU memory usage

IJuanTM

Hi i've a question about my GPU usage. I was playing some games and realized some stutters that I've naver had before. Frames would drop to 40fps while last week and before I got 100+ and almost never any drops, certainly not as low as 40. Now then I looked at my task manager and saw this:

halp..PNG.58324a1d32c11fc82991ab3b895f295a.PNG

Only 1.7Gb of dedicated GPU memory is being used from the 6gb I have. While it is running on 90%+ usage. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong here. I have quite a bit of knowledge about computers, but have never really looked into GPU's and such. Only the recommended OC that I can select from GPU Tweak-II the gpu drivers from ASUS.

I hope someone can help me with this. Would be much appriciated!

- IJuan

Have You Updated / Installed Any Drivers For Your Gpu Within The Last Week Or Two?

There Could Be A Bug In The Drivers That You Installed If You Have Installed Them That Is.

I hope that I was able to help 🙂

1 minute ago, DaRk X Mines said:

Have You Updated / Installed Any Drivers For Your Gpu Within The Last Week Or Two?

There Could Be A Bug In The Drivers That You Installed If You Have Installed Them That Is.

yes I have. And saw there was another one just released. Will try to download and install that one. Maybe it will fix it.

7 minutes ago, DaRk X Mines said:

I got a bluescreen when installing the latest Nvidia Geforce Drivers... Any ideas on that? seems like they did install but it just bluescreened once it was done..

Try Restarting, The Old And New Drivers May Be Clashing, If So You May Need To Install DDU To Clear Out All The Old Drivers So You Can Get A Fresh Install Of The New Ones.

(If You Cant Get Any Video Out At All From The Gpu You May Need To Use Your Integrated Graphics Just To Clear And Reset The Drivers. If Its Windows Blue Screening, Try Booting Into Safe Mode.

I hope that I was able to help 🙂

8 minutes ago, DaRk X Mines said:

Try Restarting, The Old And New Drivers May Be Clashing, If So You May Need To Install DDU To Clear Out All The Old Drivers So You Can Get A Fresh Install Of The New Ones.

(If You Cant Get Any Video Out At All From The Gpu You May Need To Use Your Integrated Graphics Just To Clear And Reset The Drivers. If Its Windows Blue Screening, Try Booting Into Safe Mode.

Please Never Type Like This My Eyes Are Dying And I'm Going To Walk Out In Front Of A Truck. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Please Never Type Like This My Eyes Are Dying And I'm Going To Walk Out In Front Of A Truck. 

I Totally Agree With You. This Is Very Annoying.

26 minutes ago, DaRk X Mines said:

I needed to reinstall the Display Drivers entirely because after the BSOD i couldnt right click on my desktop anymore. It froze for a second and then reloaded my desktop. Now it looks like it's fixed.

But I still see very low values being used by the GPu although Im running GPU heavy games. Maybe this is supposed to be like this idk?

VRAM usage has to do more with the level of detail you load, the higher you crank the settings in the game the more VRAM it needs, like say you increase the texture details or the scene render distance, basically the more stuff it needs to load to play the game the more VRAM it uses.

Low VRAM usage doesn't indicate there is any kind of issue like you are describing.

What you can try instead of doing the DDU then installing the latest drivers, do the DDU then install the old drivers you had from before last week, nearly every build of Nvidia Drivers is readily available online if you go here https://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

you can find every build of the drivers and see the original release dates so you can try to guess which driver build you where running BEFORE you lost the performance.

Another thought, did you happen to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 build? I swear that thing is getting to be a bigger GPU resource hog every version.