I can see pixels which I shoulnd't be able to see

Slime123

In the following picture, look at the bottom left and right corner. You can see those grey pixels. I am experiencing these things on youtube videos as well. I first thought it was a monitor issue but now it has to be my graphics card. What could be the issue/cause? This is HD btw 1080p. GPU: RX 480, CPU: ryzen 7 1800x, ram 16gb 3200mhz, ssd, mainboard: asus rog strix x370-f gaming

image.png.c8a474e80f3173d7f4667cfa3b117525.png

Do you mean the small grey spot on the left of the desk, right where the floor meets the wall?  And the one small pixel right next to the rigfht side of the desk? 

I downloaded the picture and had to zoom in to see those.  Not seeing anything anywhere near the corners though. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Magnified 5x, pixels pointed out.

Left

Left.thumb.jpg.4c8cec336ce779f14040b946b263e730.jpg

Right

Right.thumb.jpg.5db06a423c7f6e22a11a41d9919aafa7.jpg

Do you not see the 2 big areas? 

image.png.0788c2f4ee1fa52b249fa0de5f396918.png

Nope, those are all black to me

Well ... black ... my PC says the RGB codes are 12, 12, 12 for the left corner area and 14, 14, 14 for the right one.  I'd hardly call that grey.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Nope, those are all black to me

Well ... black ... my PC says the RGB codes are 12, 12, 12 for the left corner area and 14, 14, 14 for the right one.  I'd hardly call that grey.

Is it a monitor issue then? I can clearly see grey areas, big grey areas

Must be, perhaps your balance is way off.  Hang on a sec ...

Spoiler

846118788_Blackgreytestpic.jpg.d1dee6b99d67aad78f44b751625c8bda.jpg

It should be very difficult to read the text in the above pic.  If it clearly looks grey to you, either your brightness or your contrast is way too high.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Must be, perhaps your balance is way off.  Hang on a sec ...

Hide contents

846118788_Blackgreytestpic.jpg.d1dee6b99d67aad78f44b751625c8bda.jpg

It should be very difficult to read the text in the above pic.  If it looks grey to you, you have a serious issue

it is grey

It should be real close to black.  Lemme cook something else up real quick

230284159_Blacktowhitegradient2.jpg.5b05e2363959fe726c27d6c8775d463b.jpg

Between those 2 lines should be an even transition from black to white.  Does it turn grey real fast?  There should not be any abrupt color change compared to the rest of the transition.

EDIT : do you think maybe you could grab your phone and take a picture of the dreamhack screenshot?  It's kinda hard to judge how messed up something is with only screenshots provided by the PC's own screenshotting tools.

I will try another gpu and we will what's the problem

The screenshot you provided in post 1 is what the GPU is sending to the display.  If we are seeing nothing wrong with that, it means your GPU is putting out the correct colors.  In that case it's probably the display (or the display cable) that is to blame rather than the GPU.  

But if you happen to have another GPU on hand, it never hurts to try that.

I see the areas you are posting about calling grey and you are saying is a big area. Im pretty sure its both out monitor settings. They aren't set up right somewhere along the lines. The black isn't black essentially. Least that is what I am thinking/seeing on my end.

Edit: I could also be a stupid idiot and will be corrected if so lol.

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

10 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

Edit: I could also be a stupid idiot and will be corrected if so lol.

Ooh, that is so tempting ... ?

You're right, they aren't black but rather a very very dark grey.  having large dark areas with the exact same color is normal in videos, very similar colors are encoded like that to save space/bandwidth.  Normally you won't notice it, but if the colors (or in this case greys) aren't displayed correctly you will. 

My guess is that the OP's display is simply struggling with the very dark shades of grey, causing them to show up a lot brighter than they should be.    

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Ooh, that is so tempting ... ?

You're right, they aren't black but rather a very very dark grey.  having large dark areas with the exact same color is normal in videos, it is encoded like that to save space/bandwidth.  Normally you won't notice it, but if the colors (or in this case greys) aren't displayed correctly you will. 

My guess is that the OP's display is simply struggling with the very dark shades of grey, causing them to show up a lot brighter than they should be.    

This is my thinking too lol. And on my screen, it only showed when I clicked on the initial image. I had also though that it might be like some back light bleed through, or the fact that since I know my display isn't an OLED monitor the blacks aren't as rich... But that seemed like a stretch lol

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

My Ride:

1 minute ago, Slime123 said:

Can you see the pixels in the black area? 

Yup, those grey areas on the right are very obvious.  RGB codes for those are in the high 20s to low 30s, so 2.5-3 times as obvious as in the first pic.,

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

hmm ... didn't even think about backlight bleed. 

Newb thinking can help from time to time lol?

Laptop:

My Ride:

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yup, those grey areas on the right are very obvious

image.png.8f29748052eef141689369e3863671b6.png

Nope, the area you circled is nearly black. 

956481728_RGB8-6-8.jpg.b8a157923b0bb6d8ba02b0831e2b20a0.jpg

Do you have a smartphone or tablet nearby?  Open this page on that, see how different the pictures look compared to your PC screen.

I didn't see anything on either of my monitors, i maxed the brightness and contrast on both and it's terrible. It seems to be monitor dependant, on one it appeared at around 50%brightness 50% contrast on the other it appeared at 100% brightness and 90% contrast and the second one is brighter at the same percentage. You could try lowering contrast.

PS: both my monitors have TN panels

I don't know why it would be my monitor. My monitor is just displaying what the gpu sends. If it sends those clearly visible pixels, the monitor just displays it or?