Looking for budget IEMs

Nobaris

Hey all!

My old Skullcandy INK’D broke a week ago, and I’m looking for a new pair of IEMs that aren’t more than the $40 range. Absolutely no breaking of $50, that would be a little too costly. Not sure what to type, so I’m gonna use the r/headphoneadvice template to help you guys give me a suggestion.

Budget: 50SGD (about USD40 or so). Wouldn’t like to stretch at all, unless deemed very absolutely necessary. 

Source/AMP: iPhone 8 Plus and my Lenovo 710 laptop. The latter has an extremely weak port though, not too sure about it. 

How the gear will be used: I will be using these to listen to music mainly outdoors in buses/trains on my commute to and fro work (a little noise isolation goes a long way). Would like them to be convenient, no setting up but just plug-and-play. I do use them a little at home too (4 hours a week?) to play casual OW and music games like Osu! and geometry dash. Not too focused on the gaming side though, really want thw music experience to be legendary. 

Preferred tonal balance: Not sure what this means, but from what I’ve heard I kinda need more lows and mids; more info below. 

Music genres: Listen to a fat ton of EDM like tropic, electronic, house, dubstep and the like. Occasionally a 90’s or 00’s classic (with singing) would come on the radio so there’s that. Mainly 85% EDM, 15% 90’s. As for gaming I wouldn’t really need anything super competitive anyway; although I would love to enjoy the music games (about the same genre as above). 

Some playlists I thoroughly enjoy: 

Another playlist with some classics made by my friend: 

(These two were to give you an idea of what I listen to)

Past gear experience: the Skullcandy INK’D definitely served me well and opened my eyes to the low range of IEMs available and not like the free ones that come with the dictionary. However with this new pair i’m looking to take the experience to the next level and REALLY up my commute enjoyment. The noise isolation on that thing was close to perfect (a little more would be nice, but then again I won’t want a blackout of sound from outside). 

Thanks for the help!

My opinion from having gone through millions and squillions of headphones, earphones and in-ears and tried many more....

Save up for something with better quality. 50$ is not enough if you want something that lasts and you can really enjoy. My daily driver is a HD650 and I would happily use the following in-ears as dailies if Sennheiser didn't exist.

I suggest saving up for either of these, or similar. I cannot stress how happy I was when I first tried them on (Moreso the RHA)

Anyway, hope you find something you'll like!!

image.png.a2529c1683fadf9ebc62c5c0e401cf2a.png

OR

147904062_Screenshot2019-08-29at18_46_11.png.9b04e687ee6bf79c09e611ac26f1a413.png

10 hours ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

My opinion from having gone through millions and squillions of headphones, earphones and in-ears and tried many more....

Save up for something with better quality. 50$ is not enough if you want something that lasts and you can really enjoy. My daily driver is a HD650 and I would happily use the following in-ears as dailies if Sennheiser didn't exist.

I suggest saving up for either of these, or similar. I cannot stress how happy I was when I first tried them on (Moreso the RHA)

Anyway, hope you find something you'll like!!

image.png.a2529c1683fadf9ebc62c5c0e401cf2a.png

OR

147904062_Screenshot2019-08-29at18_46_11.png.9b04e687ee6bf79c09e611ac26f1a413.png

hye man if you focus on more expensive gear you can really miss out on some awesome Chi fi iems from the like of KZ , moondrop and TIn audio.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

may be the tin t2 with the vent mod

Gotcha! What’s a “vent” mod by the way?

Separately, what do you think of KZ’s lineup? Can you go over them briefly? There are a crap ton of KZs out there and they seem pretty good, although I don’t know which to get. I’m currently leaning to the ZS10 Pro. Opinions?

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

hye man if you focus on more expensive gear you can really miss out on some awesome Chi fi iems from the like of KZ , moondrop and TIn audio.

I’m sorry, but a budget is a budget. I’d spend more if I could but right now I’m strapped on cash, and would really like anything a major upgrade from the INK’Ds. Suggestions?

Any true audiophile would reccomend the Tin T2`s without a doubt (base/non-pro). Check out the Tin T2 review on ´Z Reviews’ from YouTube, he convinced me to buy mine, they're only $35 USD rn on drop.com!

49 minutes ago, EpicWaffles449 said:

Any true audiophile would reccomend the Tin T2`s without a doubt (base/non-pro). Check out the Tin T2 review on ´Z Reviews’ from YouTube, he convinced me to buy mine, they're only $35 USD rn on drop.com!

Tin Audio’s T2 is one of my top options right now. What do you think of KZ’s lineup, and which KZ would fit me best?

7 hours ago, Nobaris said:

Gotcha! What’s a “vent” mod by the way?

Separately, what do you think of KZ’s lineup? Can you go over them briefly? There are a crap ton of KZs out there and they seem pretty good, although I don’t know which to get. I’m currently leaning to the ZS10 Pro. Opinions?

The zs10 pro is pretty good for the price but v shaped sound signature wise. The vent mod is putting tape on the vents allowing for boosted bass response but is kind of bad of air pressure. And might damage your ears.

6 hours ago, Nobaris said:

Tin Audio’s T2 is one of my top options right now. What do you think of KZ’s lineup, and which KZ would fit me best?

All of kz tends to be v shaped I hear more good things from the zsn pro than the zs10 wierdly enough

19 hours ago, rice guru said:
On 8/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, Nobaris said:

All of kz tends to be v shaped I hear more good things from the zsn pro than the zs10 wierdly enough

Thanks a lot! I've currently narrowed down my choices to the following: KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, Tin Audio T2 and the MH755. I'm not sure I can find an authentic pair of the Sonys, though. What do you think?

4 hours ago, Nobaris said:

Thanks a lot! I've currently narrowed down my choices to the following: KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, Tin Audio T2 and the MH755. I'm not sure I can find an authentic pair of the Sonys, though. What do you think?

The 755 are some of the best. But yeah really hard to find. 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 755 are some of the best. But yeah really hard to find

4 hours ago, Nobaris said:

hanks a lot! I've currently narrowed down my choices to the following: KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, Tin Audio T2 and the MH755. I'm not sure I can find an authentic pair of the Sonys, though. What do you think?

So what do you think?

Just now, Nobaris said:

So what do you think?

For the price hard to go wrong with any of them just look up reviews and consider the sound signatures see what you want and look at what is the closest thing to what you want. All I will say is the audiophile pick is the tin t2 . But the kz might serve you better