Undervolting a Laptop

Hello good people of the forum, I was wondering if undervolting helps with the thermal and battery life of a laptop (especially gaming laptops that have lackluster battery life)

If undervolting really helps then I would like to know how to do so (I know it may differ on other laptops but just the ground basics). Thanks.

3 minutes ago, CYapTiti said:

if undervolting helps with the thermal and battery life of a laptop

Yes, guide in my sig below

What's your laptop? Specs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just a little question. Do the afterburner auto OC work with my laptop gpu? From what i know are the auto OC compatible with pascal or higher gpu, and my mx250 is pascal, from what i know. Anyways, When i start the OC scanner thingy it seems to get stuck at "scanning point 1 of 4", or at least i think it does as its been sitting like that for about 7 mins now, and the laptop is getting a bit hot.

3 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Do the afterburner auto OC work with my laptop gpu?

Yes, though I would suggest undervolting

3 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

When i start the OC scanner thingy it seems to get stuck at "scanning point 1 of 4", or at least i think it does as its been sitting like that for about 7 mins now, and the laptop is getting a bit hot

It stresses the GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

9 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes, though I would suggest undervolting. It stresses the GPU

Can you suggest any good way of undervolting it? I cant seem to unlock the core voltage in afterburner, and therefor uninstalled it. I first of all did wanna try to undervolt it, but after i didnt manage to do that i thought i might as well try to get some more fps out of it, as its this systems main bottleneck. I might just get a external gpu, as i already got a 1050ti i do not use, and my laptop got a type c "SS" port on the side (used for charging the laptop, but funny enough it also got a dedicated charging port behind the type c one, so i can still charge it with external gpu.) Since the 1050ti only uses under 75 watt, do you think the type c can supply enough power for it or do i need a extra power cable for the little "box" where the pciex16 are.

EDIT: just noticed that the laptops battery will die way faster than i would like IF i managed to get it to work. I also read that there are diffrent types of type C cables or something like that. One is called something like "3A" which got around 60w and a "5A" which got around 100w. Im pretty sure i got something there wrong so ill leave you the link here: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-maximum-amount-of-current-and-wattage-that-a-USB-C-adapter-head-male-can-deliver-assuming-the-wire-gauge-of-the-cable-were-to-be-increased

11 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

I cant seem to unlock the core voltage in afterburner, and therefor uninstalled it

Read my guide for the correct steps

11 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

I might just get a external gpu

It doesn't have TB3

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It doesn't have TB3

doesnt have a what? 

11 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes, guide in my sig below

What's your laptop? Specs?

Asus FX504 with i5 8300H and GTX 1050

16 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

doesnt have a what? 

Thunderbolt 3, for eGPU

6 hours ago, CYapTiti said:

Asus FX504 with i5 8300H and GTX 1050

This model also has power throttling issue fyi

Desktop specs:

Spoiler