My First PC Build

Currently I'm in the process of getting parts to build a pc(spec below). I plan to use this build to games(no games in particular) and play VR. This build is way over kill for what I want it to do but this is my way of future proofing. I'm posting this before I start buying everything to get some recommendations of parts, tips, and what VR system I should buy.

• CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core
  • RAM: 16(2x8) Gb  3200mh ZOLOy WarHawk RGB Model MD4U083216BEDA
  • GPU:MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO(328 x 140 x 56.5 mm)
  • CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP, BK002 (Height 75.4)
  • Case: SilverStone Technology SST-RVZ03B-ARGB (Cooler limit: 83 mm height) (Gpu limit: 330 mm length, 149 mm width) (Psu limit: 150mm [rec: 140mm])
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-I
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular 140 mm Size 
  • SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB (Already Have)
  • NVME M.2: 2x 256Gb (Already Have)

That motherboard doesn't have a BIOS flashback to allow upgrading BIOS to be compatible for 3rd gen without an already compatible CPU installed. Asus seems to reserve that feature for their crosshair series and up. Tier A Asrock x570 ITX and Tier B Gigabyte x570 ITX are likely the best bet since they natively support 3rd gen. You can save some money on PSU to put toward one of these boards since you won't draw 850W, a 650W unit should do just fine.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 hour ago, Socks_And_Sandals said:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-I
  • NVME M.2: 2x 256Gb (Already Have)

ASUS ROG Strix B450-I only have 1x m.2 slot

You'll need a older ryzen chip for getting the BIOS updated on that motherboard. 

If you want out of box compatibility of the CPU with the board, ten I'll recommend this instead.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157891

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

My original plan to get around the bios update for Ryzen 3 was to either go to free geek, or pick up a cheap Ryzen 1 chip. 

It is possible to upgrade without buying a different chip, AMD has a 'program' available -> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100 

Given that extra hassle and also that the listed Asus board doesn't support 2 m.2 drives which you already have (though for gaming and VR there's not much benefit at all to using 2 drives other than you already have them so combined capacity) for roughly $100 more the Gigabyte x570 ITX board should be a consideration for everything being more plug and play.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB