Small business Network Storage Solution

Jabali

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of friends who started a digital marketing company. They are at a point where storing everything in external hard disks is no longer practical. They have had 3 disks fail and have lost a bunch of data already.

I was wondering what an affordable ($1500 - $2000) Network Storage solution would look like.
They predict a requirement of about 20 TB of storage over the next year. Nothing fancy like RAID.

They are a team of 8 people right now. They mostly work on Presentations, Images and short duration videos like teasers and trailers. The server is meant only for storage and not for video editing.

Just a plain old mounted drive to read and write to at acceptable speeds, around 100 MB/s.

A couple of issues here:

They live in a coastal city in India. So it is hot and humid. Average Summer weather is around 37C(99F) and 80% humidity.

Since this is India, parts availability and service might be an issue.

If anybody has any advice to share, that would awesome.

Thanks in advance.

I think „fancy“ isn’t the right term for a RAID Configuration. It is an essential part of your data storage. 

Maybe a Solution like FreeNAS is an Option for you ?

Do you have Hardware already or do you have to plan this from scratch ?

10 hours ago, DrDrummer said:

I think „fancy“ isn’t the right term for a RAID Configuration. It is an essential part of your data storage. 

Maybe a Solution like FreeNAS is an Option for you ?

Do you have Hardware already or do you have to plan this from scratch ?

At this point, the team doesn't really need a RAID 5 system. RAID would be something for a future expansion.

Right now all they need is about 20TB of stable network storage. If I could get away with plugging in even a 10TB powered external hard disk to a router and call it day, I would. But the read and write speeds would be phenomenally bad, assuming a router can even address 10TB.

We have to build from scratch. Availability of parts of parts might be an issue. Service definitely is an issue.

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Anything from QNAP or Synology will do the job, personally I prefer QNAP.

Thanks LeadEater. 
I checked out both and it looks like Synology has sales and service offices in India. So we will probably go for that.