Delay or build soon

JT858

Hi all, 

I built my current PC a while ago now and I'm starting to notice it chugging a bit in some titles.

I have an FX-8350, 8GB ram, HD7950, SSD boot drive. 

I was wondering if my processor  is relevant enough to keep me going for another year or two and make a minor GPU upgrade to something like a RX 570.

MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB ARMOR OC Graphics Card was the one I was thinking of as its relatively cheap and cheerful and appears to increase my graphics power by a decent margin.

Or do I just save the cash now and go for a full rebuild in the next few months ?

which my thinking is to go for a ryzen 5 3600 paired with a 5700XT partner card.

Thanks for any advice :D

Here's my take on it:

You understand that your computer is almost at the end of it's leash- BUT it stills performs fine, and you're satisfied enough to keep going with it.

So with that, I wouldn't do anything and wait until you find yourself dissatisfied with the performance and then build a new system. The 570 would be a decent step up if you really need it now. But If that were me in your shoes I would just keep going along until you really found your need to receive better performance. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

What titles is it beginning to chug on? Because upgrading to a new GPU may only offer minimal gains in performance if the titles you are trying to play are CPU dependent. I recommend downloading MSI Afterburner and check the graphs for CPU and GPU utilization if the GPU is maxing out (98-100% usage) then the bottleneck that is holding your system back in this scenario is the GPU. But if CPU usage is maxing out instead it means that the CPU is holding you back.

If you're feeling the itch to build something new, you can always "refresh" your build as well. Grab the new video card, case and power supply you would buy if you were planning to do a whole build and simply reuse all of the rest of the parts you currently have. GPUs have really came a long ways in the last 10 years but cpu performance hasn't moved forward nearly as much and mostly in core density. While the FX technically had the density, it had a few corners cut in it's design and the performance really suffered from it.

There's no reason you must do it all at once, you'll likely far more than double your performance in many games with a modern, higher end gpu alone. If you're thinking about upgrading to only like a RX 570, I'd suggest to buy used since they're more than a 3 year old architecture now.

1 hour ago, JT858 said:

Or do I just save the cash now and go for a full rebuild in the next few months ?

which my thinking is to go for a ryzen 5 3600 paired with a 5700XT partner card.

do you have anything in mind you wanted to achieve with new upgrade? eg new games at high resolution/ refresh rate?

ryzen 5 3600 paired with a 5700XT  is a very solid match that should overkill a 1080p 60hz monitor, make sure you also got a good monitor to not bottleneck it. 

Hi all little update Ive looked at MSI afterburner to get whats bottlenecking the system currently , after playing some satisfactory and running the benchmarks on warhammer 2 total war, The GPU is almost constantly pinned to 100% while the CPU I never saw a single core go above 52% and the overall cpu utilisation stayed below 50%.  I think ive got quite a large bottleneck on the GPU. and since my CPU has a AIO watercooler there is a little headroom to overclock it since its current temps are currently good.

and my thinking behind getting a RX 570 is that it will upgrade this rig for a small cost which i can give to my other half when I do a full rebuild in a year or two. 

Also I currently have a blower style cooler which in retrospect was a terrible idea xD haha mini jet engine up in here.

As for the new upgrade I wanted to push up to 1440p so monitor upgrade would also be required and just get better FPS all round.

I figure zen 3 is due out in about a years time and that will either give me more bang for my buck again or let me get zen 2 slightly cheaper.

thanks all

On 8/26/2019 at 2:27 AM, JT858 said:

Hi all little update Ive looked at MSI afterburner to get whats bottlenecking the system currently , after playing some satisfactory and running the benchmarks on warhammer 2 total war, The GPU is almost constantly pinned to 100% while the CPU I never saw a single core go above 52% and the overall cpu utilisation stayed below 50%.  I think ive got quite a large bottleneck on the GPU. and since my CPU has a AIO watercooler there is a little headroom to overclock it since its current temps are currently good.

and my thinking behind getting a RX 570 is that it will upgrade this rig for a small cost which i can give to my other half when I do a full rebuild in a year or two. 

Also I currently have a blower style cooler which in retrospect was a terrible idea xD haha mini jet engine up in here.

As for the new upgrade I wanted to push up to 1440p so monitor upgrade would also be required and just get better FPS all round.

I figure zen 3 is due out in about a years time and that will either give me more bang for my buck again or let me get zen 2 slightly cheaper.

thanks all

If you're planning for 1440p, I'd pick up something more powerful than a RX 570. Leveraging the higher resolution I found to work pretty well with my X58/X5675 build. Never would I have ever thought that a platform could last me 10 years. Going from pretty much your card, a R9 280 all the way up to a GTX 1080 was such a massive upgrade and I lost very little performance going upto 1440p in most games shortly after that. I put 3 blower fans in my HD5870, I'm never buying a blower card or a card without a backplate ever again unless it's like less than half price.

The FX series is supposed to overclock pretty well provided you have the cooling to handle it, there's definitely plenty of life left in it depending on the games you play if you tweak it some and get a new gpu for sure. AMD motherboards also support ECC Unbuffered memory and used DDR3 is dirt cheap with server/ecc memory being near worthless in lower capacities. I'd highly suggest to check out your local craigslist or pick up another 8gb on ebay if you have a 2x4gb kit currently.