Dummy client PC with server host

To start, I will be switching from just a Windows 10 PC as a "server" to unraid shortly for Plex storage, VM's etc.

Back in high school we mostly had those thin clients that we had to log into and everything ran off the server.  I would like to do something like that for the kids to have a restricted PC.  Is something like this possible with unraid in a home setup?  I'm thinking it would be a VM on the server and the client PC setup so it can only log into that VM.  Is there a simple os I can install onto the client for this or should I just install Ubuntu and use a remote desktop to use the VM on the server.  I know I'm probably asking a bit much for a low cost home setup.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Xcelsior86 said:

To start, I will be switching from just a Windows 10 PC as a "server" to unraid shortly for Plex storage, VM's etc.

Back in high school we mostly had those thin clients that we had to log into and everything ran off the server.  I would like to do something like that for the kids to have a restricted PC.  Is something like this possible with unraid in a home setup?  I'm thinking it would be a VM on the server and the client PC setup so it can only log into that VM.  Is there a simple os I can install onto the client for this or should I just install Ubuntu and use a remote desktop to use the VM on the server.  I know I'm probably asking a bit much for a low cost home setup.  Thanks.

I would look at going with a VDI type setup which is pretty much the same thing... just it is a better solution for what you are wanting. Then you could just get some thin clients or use like a raspberry pi.

if you are going the VM route use the Ubuntu network installer, it installs the bare minimum required to get a Ubuntu system up and running and then you can install a basic GUI with a logon manager and and drivers, get the remote software up and running and you have a basic thin client that is limited in what it can do, be careful though, the installer doesn't support UEFI BIOS's and you need to copy the UEFI bootable file from the normal installer to the net installer in order to get it to boot, after that the finished installation boots normally since the installed OS it has support for UEFI, it's just the installer that doesn't. (canonical needs to fix this)

i might make a tutorial on how to do it if there is enough demand.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N