New User GPU question

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, but i have been following the YT channel for a while. I have a quick question about GPU's that I can't quite make a decision on. so I am currently running an MSI GTX 1070 on my main pc. I have around $500-$600 to upgrade the GPU and I had two potential ideas, that I wanted to do.

first option: i can get the exact same 1070 I already have on amazon for around $550, then SLI them together, to almost double my existing performance. (16gb gram)

second option: Buy two 1660ti, which would be an improvement over my current performance, and have hardware RTX, but ultimately be a slight downgrade compared to the 1070 build option (12gb gram)

alternatively I was looking at the newer GPUs like a 2070 Super, but from the looks of it, for the $600ish price range, that doesn't compare to the performance with the other two options. does anyone else have ideas on how to get the best bang for my buck, or know which of these options is the better way to go?

4 minutes ago, phaithrider94 said:

first option: i can get the exact same 1070 I already have on amazon for around $550, then SLI them together, to almost double my existing performance. (16gb gram)

Sorry, bit it doesn't work like that. I believe the data simply gets mirrored.

4 minutes ago, phaithrider94 said:

best bang for my buck

Get a RX5700XT with a decent cooler (like the Sapphire Pulse). Save some money and maybe upgrade something else in the future. 

Just now, Catchears said:

Get a RX5700XT with a decent cooler (like the Sapphire Pulse). Save some money and maybe upgrade something else in the future. 

yeah i just now found the SLI guide on the front page, so that parts a shame. i still lose GRAM for either SLI option. :(

ok  so then the question becomes, how does that compare to the performance of my 1070 i already have? looking at the specs sheet, that gets a slightly better clock speeds than my 1070, but is that worth the $400 upgrade? 

10 minutes ago, Catchears said:

"I swear if you SLI two GTX 960s, 970s, 980s or 1070s after reading this guide I will {REDACTED}."

well i guess that answers that question for good now. lol

Or, just save your money a while longer, and upgrade to a **80 class GPU later?

Or better yet, wait until Intel launches in 9 months or so, then decide...

Either way if you 'upgrade' now, you're wasting your money moving from lower-mid tier, to just mid tier now....

2 hours ago, phaithrider94 said:

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, but i have been following the YT channel for a while. I have a quick question about GPU's that I can't quite make a decision on. so I am currently running an MSI GTX 1070 on my main pc. I have around $500-$600 to upgrade the GPU and I had two potential ideas, that I wanted to do.

second option: Buy two 1660ti, which would be an improvement over my current performance, and have hardware RTX, but ultimately be a slight downgrade compared to the 1070 build option (12gb gram)

alternatively I was looking at the newer GPUs like a 2070 Super, but from the looks of it, for the $600ish price range, that doesn't compare to the performance with the other two options. does anyone else have ideas on how to get the best bang for my buck, or know which of these options is the better way to go?

You don't really get double the performance with 2 cards.  The program/game you are running had to be optimized for SLI to work.  If it is not, you will only be using 1 GPU even though you have 2 in your system.  Almost no developers are doing SLI anymore.  This video explains it pretty well.  

The 1660ti is a GTX not an RTX card, so if you really want ray tracing it will barely run be cause there are no tensor cores in the card.

Generally the best option is to buy the best single card you can.  Keep in mind RTX will hit your FPS pretty hard and even a 2060 does not run it well.