Netgear Nighthawk - How good is it?

JonnyOnAPony

Hey guys, just wanted the community's opinion of the Netgear Nighthawk wireless router. I am thinking of getting one as the ISP supplied router is the worst thing I have ever used and have recently upgraded to a Fibre Optic connection (I live in New Zealand so the speed is 30mb down, 10 mb up).

I am looking to a high end router because a wired Ethernet connection is not an option for me. I am a very heavy internet user (gaming, streaming, ect) and would like to achieve the fastest speed possible. Range has been an issue for me in the past and hopefully this router will cut it.

Never purchased a "high end" router before and would just like your opinions :)

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Hey guys, just wanted the community's opinion of the Netgear Nighthawk wireless router. I am thinking of getting one as the ISP supplied router is the worst thing I have ever used and have recently upgraded to a Fibre Optic connection (I live in New Zealand so the speed is 30mb down, 10 mb up).

I am looking to a high end router because a wired Ethernet connection is not an option for me. I am a very heavy internet user (gaming, streaming, ect) and would like to achieve the fastest speed possible. Range has been an issue for me in the past and hopefully this router will cut it.

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Pretty sure this is a better router.

http://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RTAC68U/

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Oh wow, thanks! Looks awesome :D

Pretty sure it's the best router you can get.

On amazon it has 1500 reviews with 4 starts so it must be good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB45SI4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00FB45SI4&linkCode=as2&tag=mwsussex040-20

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have that routers little brother, the rt-n66u, and absolutely love it.

+1

I have that routers little brother, the rt-n66u, and absolutely love it.

This may actually be better for me... Not really using AC yet

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Sounds like what you actually mean is that the wireless on it is inadequate. Better off to purchase a UniFi from Ubiquiti via. GoWifi .

As a side note, you shouldn't complain about something your ISP gave to you for free. It's not their fault you're a heavy user over wireless. You can also get higher speeds if you pay them more ;) - My Speedtest

Pretty sure this is a better router.

http://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RTAC68U/

Pretty sure you're wrong. The Nighthawk (R7000) has the better processor of the two.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

If you want the best one out there right now, it's going to be the Nighthawk.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Pretty sure you're wrong. The Nighthawk (R7000) has the better processor of the two.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

If you want the best one out there right now, it's going to be the Nighthawk.

Processor only really matters if you have a lot of routed (not switched) traffic, ie. 500Mbps+ constantly. As far as consumer products go, the point of diminishing return is quite early.

• 3 months later...

I live in Australia and i have the new fibre optic set up. my base speed is 100mbs down and 40mbs up. i just purchased the nighthawk, and it is literally the best thing i have ever done. i game on the 2014 razer blade 14', which has no ethernet port. yet, the strength and sheer reliability of the nighthawk is unprecedented. I'd recommend the nighthawk bro. peace

Smallnetbuilder tested the Nighthawk and the AC68U and they both performed almost identically. Get whichever one you can afford (I got a Nighthawk recently for $120 after rebates). Arguing which is better is like comparing 2 sects of Christianity, you'll have 2 sides with each believing theirs is the best.

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011