What IT certifications do you have?

Erudito

Certifications can be helpful in allowing you to skip the very entry level roles. The amount you can skip depends on the level of certifications you have. 

E.g. Depending on the organisation, the Comptia courses may allow you to jump to a Level 2 support role rather than starting at Level 1. However it all comes down to the type of role. 

Obviously going for a Networking role in a company that is heavily invested in Cisco products will benefit from CCNP certs or higher. Just be wary of specializing too much or going too high a level cert. Experience in the field is often more valuable. 

Best bet is to look for a company that has room for progression so you can get experience and work your way up. 

2 hours ago, comander said:

Most internship programs worth doing are ONLY available to students. The moment you graduate you're ineligible and they won't even look at your resume. At least in the US. 

For what it's worth, I actually stayed an extra term (half time) so I could squeeze in an extra 2 internships. One of the internships (which paid $25/hr for 10 weeks which I extended to 16 and then part time during the next term so I could afford tuition) translated to a 70k a year job, 5 years later it was 100k a year job and then I transitioned to a 200-300k a year job in the last year. The best case scenario (didn't happen for me) is something like an internship at Google for ~30-50/hr and a return offer (at around 50% higher). 

The entire system is designed around "traditional students" - read: the type of people who "summer in the Hamptons". There's also a big difference between working to survive and working to thrive. The former sucks a lot more than the latter. 

I don't have much choice. Due to going to school full time (even though it is online) I won't have the time or money to move to an Internship program and I am not in my local bus distance to any decent place. 

I taught scratch to Year 3's when I was in Year 5. Does that count?

I'm in UK btw so Year 3 is equivalent 2nd grade and Year 5 is equivalent to 4th grade

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

I have an A+ and I've been the resident IT guy for all my friends since about 2006.

Like you, I'm working my way through the triad and have my sights set on the Cyber Security Analyst and Pen+ certs afterwards. Maybe grab a Linux+ along the way since it doesn't expire like the other ones.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I have a PhD in the school of hard knocks and real-world experience.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I just worked my way up by working progressively less shitty IT jobs until I finally got one that isn't shitty and pays me decently. No college or IT Certs.

2018/2019 #1 place in the annual (our school) PC-Build off showdown

if that counts.....

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital