5W, 1A, 5V charging

ahuckphin

It it very difficult to source a 5 watt, 1 amp, 5 volt charger adapter that's from a reliable brand for an affodable price. 

My Android smartphone came with a 10 watt charger out of the box but I have instead used my mother's 5 watt charger that came with her Nokia 1 or an old Apple charger that is far from reliable. 

In the ideal world, I'll get a quality 5 watt charger paired with a high quality cable. 

But in my situation, would it make sense to get an inferior quality cable that only supports 1 amp and pair it with a 10w charger to charge my phone at 1 amp? 

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. If you need a new cable, get one from Anker and use that with the wort that came with your device. You could use the 5 watt 1 amp charger, but it would be very slow. I don't recommend it honestly.

13 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. If you need a new cable, get one from Anker and use that with the wort that came with your device. You could use the 5 watt 1 amp charger, but it would be very slow. I don't recommend it honestly.

I'm ok with the slowness of 5w chargers as I do belive in the concept of slower chargering = better battery longevity. 

What I'm asking whether I can use a good quality charger but choke the output with a weak cable to obtain my desire for 5 watt charging. 

6 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I'm ok with the slowness of 5w chargers as I do belive in the concept of slower chargering = better battery longevity. 

What I'm asking whether I can use a good quality charger but choke the output with a weak cable to obtain my desire for 5 watt charging. 

Slower charging has the opposite affect you're after https://www.pcworld.com/article/2683012/want-lithiumion-batteries-to-last-slow-charging-may-not-be-the-answer.html

I think LTT even did a video or two on it as well.

As for your question. Are you asking if you can use a high powered charger but use a weak cable to carry the current? No, it would not be safe. The cable would over heat and melt. You would not be "slowing down" or "cutting down" on the electricity flow, instead, the electricity will flow at full force. With a weak cable, that will be a fire hazard.

2 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

You can't choke the output with a shitty cable, that's not how it works

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

22 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

You can't choke the output with a shitty cable, that's not how it works

maybe not choke but rather lose electircal energy as heat energy 

24 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Maybe 

Are you asking if you can use a high powered charger but use a weak cable to carry the current? 

Yeap

No, it would not be safe. The cable would over heat and melt. You would not be "slowing down" or "cutting down" on the electricity flow, instead, the electricity will flow at full force. With a weak cable, that will be a fire hazard.

I see. But wouldn't a high quality charger be smart enough to notice the weak cable and reduce output? 

Just now, bindydad123 said:

maybe not choke but rather lose electircal energy as heat energy 

The cable will disintegrate before you hit the 5W mark, and you'll be harming your phone as well because of the voltage drop, though to note, there are no 1A cables, any Micro B/USB C can handle 10W depending on length, though it's still not recommended to get a cheapo cable to run 10W through it as there will be more losses compared to a thicker gauge one, but not "down to 5W" losses

And a phone (or any electrical device) will only take what it needs, charging it with a 20W charger doesn't mean it will take 20W, if you can't find a good 5W charger then I suggest going with a 10W one

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

Maybe 

Yeap

I see. But wouldn't a high quality charger be smart enough to notice the weak cable and reduce output? 

This is correct. I know Linus did a video on it, but Im on mobile and cant search for it now.

A good charger wont push what the device doesnt request. That said it does not have a way of detecting a shitty cable. It only cares about the fact that its connected to a device requesting power. As previously stated, it will only take what it needs. The thing to really look at is amperage. Just dont exceed the spec of your device and youll be fine. If youre that worried and stuck on this, a regular usb 2.0 port on any computer will only supply you five watts and one amp.

16 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

a regular usb 2.0 port on any computer will only supply you five watts and one amp.

most ports on computers I've used only output half an amp.