Trying to diagnose getting lower FPS than I should with my build

RickyUK19

Hi, 

I created a post yesterday asking for help essentially getting lower frames than I should be on BF5 (as well as other titles). I've done some further diagnostics and am still struggling to pinpoint why my frames are lower than expected. 

All games run at 1080p with 144hz monitor, I made this build specifically to game at or around 144hz at 1080p, unless I'm wrong (please tell me if so) I should be acheiving at least 120plus fps at 1080p on ultra no problems on most modern optimized titles? 

I'm also eagerly awaiting cyberpunk and want my build to be performing as it should be upon release =)

This was a second hand system (except the 2070 super, which I recently upgraded from the 1070 that came with the system).

Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit

i7 6700 (non overclocked)

KFA2 2070 super at stock clocks

16gb Corsair Vengeance

2x 240gb SSD and 1 1TB HDD

Corsair H110m Grenade mobo (recently reset to fac defaults) 

Corsair CX 600M PSU (currently thinking this could be the culprit but dont want to go and upgrade that until I'm sure, and if the PSU wasnt enough I would assume I'd get system instability rather than poor FPS?)

So, basically on BF5 ultra I tend to top out at 110fps (no raytracing, dx12 enabled), and regulary sits around 50-70 in busy firefights ect. Tried medium settings and I still do not sit at 144hz like I certainly should be. 

CSGO I top out at 200fps with some frame drops down to 100.

Apex tops 130 with average sitting around 70. you get the point. 

I've ran DDU and reinstalled my graphics drivers. 

My temps are fine, GPU average 70ish under load, CPU is also more than fine (water cooled).

Recently moved BF5 from the HDD to the SSD, same results.

Is there a simple test I can run somewhere to basically say, yes my system is definitaly running lower than it should be, and it is for x reason. Or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks again guys really racking my brains :(

is Windows Game Mode disabled?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Yup, disabled that fucker ages ago :(

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

What does Windows Game Mode do?

Personal Gaming PC Setup Battlestation Rig Thing - 

Ryzen 7 3700x, Gigabyte 2080 Super, 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3400 mhz, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 240GB Corsair MP510 NVMe M.2 SSD, WD 1TB SSD, NZXT H510i

Monitors - 

Element Gaming 27" 144hz 1440p, AOC 21.5" 75hz 1080p

I stream titanfall 2, Fortnite, GTA V, as well as other games. Any follows on my twitch would be greatly appreciated! - https://www.twitch.tv/dmnforkknife/

Just now, RickyUK19 said:

Yup, disabled that fucker ages ago :(

Double check.. windows has been known to do trickery and re-enable things people previously disabled. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, tofuwannabe said:

What does Windows Game Mode do?

It was something Microsoft added to Windows 10 that was suppose to help ensure you had resources dedicated for gaming when games were open, but it actually hindered performance.. in some cases severely so its universally recommended to disable it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Double check.. windows has been known to do trickery and re-enable things people previously disabled. 

Yeah just did when you wrote it, def disabled

1 minute ago, RickyUK19 said:

Yeah just did when you wrote it, def disabled

Whats the utilization of your CPU and GPU like in game?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I've just pulled the trigger and bought a new PSU, gone of the tier list off this forum and got the ROG THOR 850w plus plat (I'll need one anyway down the road, going to be upgrading my processor and mobo in a few months also)

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Whats the utilization of your CPU and GPU like in game?

See attached, just ran BFV for a few mins and thats my results, nothing screams out to me but my knowledge is not amazing on clock speeds ect.

Hardware Mon.png

You seem to be CPU bottlenecked as I was suspecting... Your CPU is hitting ~100% utilized which is bad for gaming and not keeping your GPU fed with data and instructions and causes the drops and dips and chops. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You seem to be CPU bottlenecked as I was suspecting... Your CPU is hitting ~100% utilized which is bad for gaming and not keeping your GPU fed with data and instructions and causes the drops and dips and chops. 

I was going to be upgrading my CPU to be honest (towards end of the year probably) I just assumed that the CPU would still be able to push out 120 plus frames with the 2070 super, I guessed the 6700 would be the bottleneck of the build just didn't think to that extent :( 

Just now, RickyUK19 said:

I was going to be upgrading my CPU to be honest (towards end of the year probably) I just assumed that the CPU would still be able to push out 120 plus frames with the 2070 super, I guessed the 6700 would be the bottleneck of the build just didn't think to that extent :( 

Yea, it seems to be at this point based on that info you posted. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Yea, it seems to be at this point based on that info you posted. 

Ah well, thanks for the help, fingers crossed when I upgrade the mobo and processor in a few months that'll get my build to where I want it!