Weird Outcomes from OC

TastyGuava

So, early June my father finally let me build a PC and I ordered all the parts on Amazon as it was most convenient for me even though I could've saved some money if I went on other sites but yeah, for convenience and ease I used Amazon.

So I have an ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 OC Edition and was wondering why even at seemingly stable overclocks of +100 core, +400/+600 memory before used to give me weird artifacts and now that I've felt comfortable and had the time to overclock again I can get +160 core, +900 memory without any artifacts and stable performance? Also, can overclocking cause long term damage and shorten the life span of my card?

6 minutes ago, TastyGuava said:

So, early June my father finally let me build a PC and I ordered all the parts on Amazon as it was most convenient for me even though I could've saved some money if I went on other sites but yeah, for convenience and ease I used Amazon.

So I have an ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 OC Edition and was wondering why even at seemingly stable overclocks of +100 core, +400/+600 memory before used to give me weird artifacts and now that I've felt comfortable and had the time to overclock again I can get +160 core, +900 memory without any artifacts and stable performance? Also, can overclocking cause long term damage and shorten the life span of my card?

Overclocking should not damage your card, unless you increase the voltage too high, or let temps get out of control. As for the artifacting, it could depend on what program you are using to stress test.

Just now, averagebilly said:

Overclocking should not damage your card, unless you increase the voltage too high, or let temps get out of control. As for the artifacting, it could depend on what program you are using to stress test.

I used MSI Kombuster 4 to run the stress and still do use that, but after a couple of days with the exact same OC I started artifacting in Overwatch which is so weird because I had run it perfectly fine for many days before. I stopped the OC because my friends card had broke from who knows what since none of us could find out (I might ask on the forum later to help him out so he doesn't make the same mistake when his replacement comes in) but I started to OC again because I started wanting the max performance I could get out of my hardware. And I haven't gotten a single artifact, with the exact same settings. So my question is why would my OC artifact before (randomly to after days of stability) and now all of the sudden run smooth again?

4 minutes ago, TastyGuava said:

I used MSI Kombuster 4 to run the stress and still do use that, but after a couple of days with the exact same OC I started artifacting in Overwatch which is so weird because I had run it perfectly fine for many days before. I stopped the OC because my friends card had broke from who knows what since none of us could find out (I might ask on the forum later to help him out so he doesn't make the same mistake when his replacement comes in) but I started to OC again because I started wanting the max performance I could get out of my hardware. And I haven't gotten a single artifact, with the exact same settings. So my question is why would my OC artifact before (randomly to after days of stability) and now all of the sudden run smooth again?

An overwatch update probably optimized the game for the newer generation of card.

Try using Unigine Heaven at max settings for a while. I used taht for my OC and haven't had any artifacting since.

1 minute ago, averagebilly said:

An overwatch update probably optimized the game for the newer generation of card.

Try using Unigine Heaven at max settings for a while. I used taht for my OC and haven't had any artifacting since.

Alright, thank you so much. I'll try this out and get back to you. Hope this goes well.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, averagebilly said:

After maybe 1 or 2 days of testing, I've been able to get a maximum to overclock of the following:

ASUS DUAL RTX 2060
- Core +140

- Memory +990

Ryzen 5 2600X

- 4100 across all cores

Corsair LPX 2x8 2133Mhz

- 2666Mhz

I'm assuming what you stated about Overwatch receiving an optimization update is possibly correct. I've experienced 0 performance issues in the last 1-2 days I've been running my overclock. I'll let you know if anything does pop up in the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain and give inside as to what could've caused my artifacts. Have a nice day! - Fahim Dhali