What weird screw thingi is this for M.2? Install help M.2

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Yes, thats the Screw AND standoff... you will need to remove the screw, then remove the stand off and move it to the correct slot for your SSD Length. 

How do I install the m.2 SSD over the thing? read below.

I have a Z370 D3H rev 1 and I'll get a SSD, and it'll be 80mm, now I've checked my mobo and a weird thing is sticking out of the 80mm hole. And the screw is over that, ik there should be a thing under the screw but I can't manage to unscrew the thing. Have a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cbCQCAv376D7TFty43FeXyJmTniahgxU/view?usp=drivesdk

Yes, thats the Screw AND standoff... you will need to remove the screw, then remove the stand off and move it to the correct slot for your SSD Length. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

So first the screw then the standoff, it's in the correct 80mm slot so I just need to remove the screw then I'll be set right?

Also did you ask for the view permission, sorry for the inconvenience I forgot to make it public...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

So first the screw then the standoff, it's in the correct 80mm slot so I just need to remove the screw then I'll be set right?

Also did you ask for the view permission, sorry for the inconvenience I forgot to make it public...

no it came up right for me, But yes.. remove the screw, then remove the stand off and move it to the correct slot you need and screw the stand off back in, install your SSD and then use the screw to secure it ontop of the stand off

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

no it came up right for me, But yes.. remove the screw, then remove the stand off and move it to the correct slot you need and screw the stand off back in, install your SSD and then use the screw to secure it ontop of the stand off

So was I wrong? *First the SSD at the bottom then stand off (middle) then the screw on the very top?*

Another thing do I need to worry about the screw / standoff not being wide enough to hold the SSD in place? cuz the semicircle/rim of m.2 seems kinda big.

Dont worry, it will hold. The standoff and screw are in the correct position for your SSD (80).

When the SSD arrives, just unscrew it, place the SSD into slot (it should stick in a 30 degree angle if you let it go).

Then you just use the screw to push the edge of the SSD and put it down in the correct position/angle

3 minutes ago, brucechow said:

Dont worry, it will hold. The standoff and screw are in the correct position for your SSD (80).

When the SSD arrives, just unscrew it, place the SSD into slot (it should stick in a 30 degree angle if you let it go).

Then you just use the screw to push the edge of the SSD and put it down in the correct position/angle

That's the thing, I can confirm I have the stand off, but is the screw already in the picture?? I have some screws in my cabinet box, and I don't think screws will come with the SSD. 

8 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

That's the thing, I can confirm I have the stand off, but is the screw already in the picture?? I have some screws in my cabinet box, and I don't think screws will come with the SSD. 

Yes. The screw is in the picture above the standoff

8 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

So was I wrong? *First the SSD at the bottom then stand off (middle) then the screw on the very top?*

Another thing do I need to worry about the screw / standoff not being wide enough to hold the SSD in place? cuz the semicircle/rim of m.2 seems kinda big.

yes you're wrong, It goes stand off, SSD, Screw. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

yes you're wrong, It goes stand off, SSD, Screw. 

3 hours ago, brucechow said:

Yes. The screw is in the picture above the standoff

Okay I get it now, thanks