GTX 690 Help

DrLoneZebra

I recently purchased a used gtx 690, claimed to have been pulled and working fine around six months ago however i am having a weird issue with SLI.  With SLI enabled GPU 2 reaches a power tdp max of 510% and stays locked at it pulling "600+ watts" and will not go over 325mhz on the core or clock speed killing frames.  It is in fact not pulling that many as the whole system is idling below 300.  gpu 1 works fine and turbos up and down, and overclocks just fine, yet when i disable SLI it swaps to gpu 1 at 510% power limit, and then gpu 2 works just fine.  Attached are screen shots from gpuz on both chips, and nvidia control panel showing sli is enabled.  I have tried new drivers, old ones, disabling one chip and nothing has worked.  Driver version is 431.60 of 7/17/2019  Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Screenshot (25).png

Edited by DrLoneZebra
Added Photo.

17 minutes ago, DrLoneZebra said:

GPU 2 reaches a power tdp max of 510% and stays locked at it pulling "600+ watts" and will not go over 325mhz on the core

Old owner did a shunt mod? Probably not though.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

27 minutes ago, DrLoneZebra said:

Sounds like a really dodgy shunt mod. You'll not go over the power limit without shunting the resistor so check those first.

Flash the original BIOS too. "510%" power limit is not a thing from the factory. I've also never heard of any custom GPU BIOS going that high with a power limit.

PCB shot:

Spoiler

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690/images/front_full.jpg

See those resistors marked R005? (the ones you are looking for are near the VRM in the middle, nearest to the second GPU). I think they've been removed completely though which might explain why its "locked" to 325MHz. There must be some sort of resistance for the GPU to work properly. Even if the resistor is soldered over and has a near zero value.

If you want the flash the BIOS back to stock (includes PLX rom):

(You'll see that it says "EVGA", if you've a non-EVGA card it doesn't really matter, also I've no idea how the PLX rom is flashed. Fire it through nvflash and see what happens?)

EVGA GTX 690 UEFI.zip

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Sounds like a really dodgy shunt mod. You'll not go over the power limit without shunting the resistor so check those first.

Flash the original BIOS too. "510%" power limit is not a thing from the factory. I've also never heard of any custom GPU BIOS going that high with a power limit.

PCB shot:

Hide contents

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690/images/front_full.jpg

See those resistors marked R005? (the ones you are looking for are near the VRM in the middle, nearest to the second GPU). I think they've been removed completely though which might explain why its "locked" to 325MHz. There must be some sort of resistance for the GPU to work properly. Even if the resistor is soldered over and has a near zero value.

If you want the flash the BIOS back to stock (includes PLX rom):

(You'll see that it says "EVGA", if you've a non-EVGA card it doesn't really matter, also I've no idea how the PLX rom is flashed. Fire it through nvflash and see what happens?)

EVGA GTX 690 UEFI.zip

I will start a tear down on the card to check for those resistors, i am hoping they are all in place and this is just a bad bios mod.  Thanks for your reply and will keep posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply been busy with work and life, after tearing down the card i have found nothing wrong with it.  All resistors are in place and nothing has been altered or removed physically, i checked for over 4 hours to be sure.  I had also tried the GPU baking method to see if it was a bad connection somewhere as that has fixed my HD 6990 in the past yet it still shows 500%+ TDP.  When i get a chance i will try doing the bios flash, also it is a EVGA model so hopefully the bios that was linked will work just fine.

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, DrLoneZebra said:

Sorry for late reply been busy with work and life, after tearing down the card i have found nothing wrong with it.  All resistors are in place and nothing has been altered or removed physically, i checked for over 4 hours to be sure.  I had also tried the GPU baking method to see if it was a bad connection somewhere as that has fixed my HD 6990 in the past yet it still shows 500%+ TDP.  When i get a chance i will try doing the bios flash, also it is a EVGA model so hopefully the bios that was linked will work just fine.

Did you ever end up trying the bios flash? I am having the same exact issue with one of my 690s. Any help would be greatly appreciated