Windows 8.1 Install - Live or Local account?

ygohome
Go to solution Solved by ohJey,

Ah, that is what I was thinking too.  I don't know exactly what security issues there may be using MS account, but it still makes me a little nervous for that reason.

I'll try both ways since it is a vm and I can experiment.

Thanks.

You never know :P.  Glad to help

Tomorrow I plan to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro into Virtual Box.  Keep in mind I've not used windows 8 or 8.1 before.  *correction:  I used it for about 3 minutes at a Costco store while shopping.  

My question is in the title.  Would you recommend I create a microsoft live account, or should I use a local account?

I know what microsoft says from this screen shot:

post-3852-0-68280100-1391050855.png

Is that it though? Are there any underlying issues to consider when choosing live vs local login accounts at install time?

*edit:  I'm also curious about how Administrator users get created in 8.1.  Can they be created as local or live accounts?  I'll probably figure it out as I get into the install, but it was on my mind as I wrote this.

Thanks!  

I used local just based on security reasons

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Yeah.  I guess it can be compared to googles gmail account registration when activating a new android device.  Or Apple's apple_id for i-devices.

I may try it with the MS account.  It is just a VM afterall.

Thanks

I used local just based on security reasons

Ah, that is what I was thinking too.  I don't know exactly what security issues there may be using MS account, but it still makes me a little nervous for that reason.

Thanks.

Thanks.

You never know :P.  Glad to help

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I'd start with a local account and then attach your Microsoft account. The reason is that a name based on your e-mail will be generated to create the user dir. For me it was the first 5 letters of My email and then "_001".. which looks stupid and unorganized IMHO.

So start with a local account, attach the Microsoft account.

Thoroughness rating
#########