New router

Lance42602

Hello my name is Lance and I am a hardcore console gamer who plays competitively. I'm looking to upgrade my router but not forsure which one is best for me. Also I dont own a PC but do own a standard laptop. Need help!! I've looked at the nighthawk's from Netgear but I dont know if it's the way for me.

What do you have now?

Why do you want to upgrade?

How is your console currently connected? Wired or wireless?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

what internet speeeds do you pay for?

do you need modem/router combo or separate?

how big is your home?

are you in a apartment or house?

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

what internet speeeds do you pay for?

do you need modem/router combo or separate?

how big is your home?

are you in a apartment or house?

So right now I live in a house around 2000sq ft but I always use the ethernet cable on the console while gaming. Download speeds usually max out sound 180mbs and upload at around 6mbs. I'm looking to basically upgrade everything, buying a new monitor and trying to upgrade my internet to the best I can.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

What do you have now?

Why do you want to upgrade?

How is your console currently connected? Wired or wireless?

Right now i have the factory modem that version rents to me. Playstation 4 is current console and I always use it with a wired connection. Speeds top out at 180mbs down loads and 6.0 uploads. I'm upgrading to really start pushing deep into the competitive scenes as well as getting into the actual consumer market of these products instead of using everything from the factory. 

42 minutes ago, Lance42602 said:

Right now i have the factory modem that version rents to me. Playstation 4 is current console and I always use it with a wired connection. Speeds top out at 180mbs down loads and 6.0 uploads. I'm upgrading to really start pushing deep into the competitive scenes as well as getting into the actual consumer market of these products instead of using everything from the factory. 

What do you hope a new router will give you though?

A new router isn't going to really benefit you much, if at all, aside from having QoS and other features which can allow you to guarantee traffic for your console without it being starved for bandwidth but it's not really going to improve ping or anything like that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 7/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, Lurick said:

What do you hope a new router will give you though?

A new router isn't going to really benefit you much, if at all, aside from having QoS and other features which can allow you to guarantee traffic for your console without it being starved for bandwidth but it's not really going to improve ping or anything like that.

a new router can also help with speeds and maintaining the signal quality. its not just QoS/features/custom settings.