How to clean install MacOS Mojave on a 2012 Macbook Pro

Go to solution Solved by Kuzon,

Hey there @mrchow19910319 thanks of the reply. I did try to do that (check my previous comment) but no luck. Unfortunately had to tell my client that unless they had a spare install cd around or could get their hands on one there wasn't anything I could do. :(

Hey everyone, firstly apologies if this is covered somewhere or in the wrong category, this is my first ever post on the forum. Joined literally minutes ago!

Secondly, straight to the point: I've been struggling to install MacOS Mojave on my client's Macbook. I've tried all sorts of things but to no avail. The macbook is super outdated (running MacOS X Lion 10.7.5). I tried using their website, the appstore and even making  a bootable usb on windows since I couldn't get the download to work on the mac (it's so outdated?). I've watched multipe videos on how to make the bootable USB and how to do fresh installs but the videos are simply not thorough enough for a beginner macOS user like myself (first time I've ever had to work on a mac!). Maybe I'm just not following the instructions well enough.

Please if anyone can direct me to a good tutorial website/video or help me directly, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

What exact MBP is it?

Apple in top left > About > System Report > Model Identifier

(Model Identifier might be in the About page itself back in Lion)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hi there, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what you mean:/. Isn't there only one Macbook Pro from 2012?

Just now, Kuzon said:

Hi there, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what you mean:/. Isn't there only one Macbook Pro from 2012?

What is the model identifier? It should look something like MacBookPro9,1

Apple in top left > About > System Report > Model Identifier

(I think the Model Identifier might also be in the About page itself back in Lion)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ah I see. I'm sorry but I can't get it at the moment because I'm reinstalling macOS X after another failed USB install. Here's a link to what model it is from everymac.com
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-retina-display-specs.html

I hope this can still help?

Edited by Kuzon
Add information

4 minutes ago, Kuzon said:

Ah I see. I'm sorry but I can't get it at the moment because I'm reinstalling macOS X after another failed USB install. Here's a link to what model it is from everymac.com
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-retina-display-specs.html

I hope this can still help?

What .iso's do you have/where did you get them from?

Does the previous Lion install still work?

What part of the installation process is giving an error?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

What .iso's do you have/where did you get them from?

Does the previous Lion install still work?

What part of the installation process is giving an error?

A website called 9to5mac. It was apple website link that downloaded the Mojave .dmg.
Yup just booted into Lion now, the install finished.

So I'm trying to do a clean install of Mojave, but I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to do it (especially since this macbook is so old). I tried to follow the instructions to make a bootable but that didn't seem to work. I used a software called TransMac. Would you be able to give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to do this or at least a link to a decent website/youtube video ?

I'm really just lost and don't know where to turn, I understand if I'm asking too much. :/

Edited by Kuzon
Add information

10 minutes ago, Kuzon said:

A website called 9to5mac. It was apple website link that downloaded the Mojave .dmg.
Yup just booted into Lion now, the install finished.

So I'm trying to do a clean install of Mojave, but I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to do it (especially since this macbook is so old). I tried to follow the instructions to make a bootable but that didn't seem to work. I used a software called TransMac. Would you be able to give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to do this or at least a link to a decent website/youtube video ?

I'm really just lost and don't know where to turn, I understand if I'm asking too much. :/

If you already followed this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 and it doesn't work, then it might be simplest to upgrade iteratively, first by upgrading to whatever you can directly from Lion.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

If you already followed this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 and it doesn't work, then it might be simplest to upgrade iteratively, first by upgrading to whatever you can directly from Lion.

My initial problem started from wanting to download apps, but the mac needed the latest version of Sierra. But in order to download the sierra installer, I needed the lastest version of Sierra... Not sure how it ended up in such a weird catch 22 situation, but it is what it is. I think my client had this mac in storage for a long time and only recently tried to get it working again. Thank you so much for your help, I'll try this link and see if It gets me anywhere ❤️.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe just update from lion to mountain lion then step by step one gen to the other? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there @mrchow19910319 thanks of the reply. I did try to do that (check my previous comment) but no luck. Unfortunately had to tell my client that unless they had a spare install cd around or could get their hands on one there wasn't anything I could do. :(