Mouse Accel. question

TheCroaker

Why does it exist, and why is it the default option in so many games?

My PC:

Case: Corsair C70, Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45, CPU: I5-4670k, RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance, GPU: Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming , PSU: Corsair RM650W Gold, Storage: 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD, 240 GB Kingston SSDNOW

Why does it exist, and why is it the default option in so many games?

Im just guessing your playing DayZ because that wont let you play without it but anyway I would guess that it exists because of low DPI mouses or something like that Im actually not sure...

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

It is not default on most games. I really have no idea who the guy was who thought it would be a good idea though.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Im just guessing your playing DayZ because that wont let you play without it but anyway I would guess that it exists because of low DPI mouses or something like that Im actually not sure...

They will fix it soon.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

They will fix it soon.

Awesome :) Looking forward to the game being in beta! in late 2014

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

They will fix it soon.

Just saying, part of Mouse Acceleration is because that's how the game engine was made.

It's meant to be very realistic obviously (sans the zombies part). With mouse acceleration, everyone pretty much has the same mouse movement. Someone having higher DPI doesn't necessarily mean they will turn around faster than someone with lower DPI, for example. 

In fact, the reason Mouse Acceleration is built into DayZ is because there is a "stat" system that is invisible to the player. Mouse Acceleration is directly a part of something called Dexterity, which your equipment load directly affects. 

Which affects your ability move quickly and such. That includes turning. 

The reason changes are coming is because it doesn't make sense that you having a giant backpack and holding a gun should affect turning your head. Anything else, yeah, but not your head. 

Mind you, I think that issue is covered by ARMA's "look around" feature, but whatever. One suggested solution is that your view changes as you turn, but your gun and stuff lags behind based on how much dexterity you have.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just saying, part of Mouse Acceleration is because that's how the game engine was made.

It's meant to be very realistic obviously (sans the zombies part). With mouse acceleration, everyone pretty much has the same mouse movement. Someone having higher DPI doesn't necessarily mean they will turn around faster than someone with lower DPI, for example. 

In fact, the reason Mouse Acceleration is built into DayZ is because there is a "stat" system that is invisible to the player. Mouse Acceleration is directly a part of something called Dexterity, which your equipment load directly affects. 

Which affects your ability move quickly and such. That includes turning. 

That is so awful of a game mechanic...

I don't mean to sound mean or anything but how hard can it be to just fix mouse acceleration. The developers of Dayz said we were going to be able to change it a long time ago.

CPU: Phenom 1090T, Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 RAM: Generic 8GB 1600MHz GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 HDDs: 2 Scavenged 160GB drives (I lost my 500GB one and I don't know how) SSD: Samsung 840 evo120GB  OS: Windows 7 Case: Bitfenix merc beta PSU: Corsair CX 600W

That is so awful of a game mechanic...

Which is why they are fixing it. Honestly, I like realism and think that's a great way to put it into the game. Not using Mouse Acceleration, but the Dexterity mechanic. To tie the two together was probably not the best choice though. I mean, Mouse Acceleration basically mimics real life reaction time, so I can understand why he did it, but... still.

It's meant to be realistic within the realm of combat/fighting zombies. 

That mechanic is why we can't just have the option to disable it. It would break a crapton of other things. Rocket did a Reddit AMA recently (a week ago), and that was his answer to a question that asked why we couldn't just disable it. 

Specifically here.

You should read this ElephantCrave

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Which is why they are fixing it. Honestly, I like realism and think that's a great way to put it into the game. Not using Mouse Acceleration, but the Dexterity mechanic. To tie the two together was probably not the best choice though. I mean, Mouse Acceleration basically mimics real life reaction time, so I can understand why he did it, but... still.

It's meant to be realistic within the realm of combat/fighting zombies. 

Something I don't think Rocket quite gets (although don't get me wrong I love the guy) is there is a line between ultra realism and a fun game. The two as of yet have not really been merged. I would rather have a game that plays like a game than have to basically swap my entire playstyle just to play by DayZ's rules.

Rocket in the past has been very adamant on not including RPG elements like leveling up your character (which I absolutely cannot stand) and aim is a huge thing that some players will be very good at and others won't. And having to level up in order to aim properly is total BS. Although from that reddit thing it sounds like dexterity is a number in the code rather than a "feature" which I do hope. If he is actually going to include RPG stuff that will be very disappointing to me.

Awesome :) Looking forward to the game being in beta! in late 2014

They said they would fix it a couple months ago. DayZ is a different form of mouse acceleration, anyway. It's reverse acceleration. It's a game breaking bug that makes me refuse playing the game until a fix has been implemented. I don't buy a deathadder for poor control over my mouse.

As I recall, acceleration exists because of the old, low DPI computer mice. I might be wrong.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Something I don't think Rocket quite gets (although don't get me wrong I love the guy) is there is a line between ultra realism and a fun game. The two as of yet have not really been merged. I would rather have a game that plays like a game than have to basically swap my entire playstyle just to play by DayZ's rules.

Rocket in the past has been very adamant on not including RPG elements like leveling up your character (which I absolutely cannot stand) and aim is a huge thing that some players will be very good at and others won't. And having to level up in order to aim properly is total BS. Although from that reddit thing it sounds like dexterity is a number in the code rather than a "feature" which I do hope. If he is actually going to include RPG stuff that will be very disappointing to me.

Oh Oh, God no.

That's not what I meant at all by Dexterity. That's why I said it was invisible to the player. 

It's like, it's only directly affected by your equipment load. That's it. You don't level it up. You don't need it to do certain things. It just affects how quickly you move and how fast you get tired. That's about it. AFAIK.

† Christian Member †

They said they would fix it a couple months ago. DayZ is a different form of mouse acceleration, anyway. It's reverse acceleration. It's a game breaking bug that makes me refuse playing the game until a fix has been implemented. I don't buy a deathadder for poor control over my mouse.

As I recall, acceleration exists because of the old, low DPI computer mice. I might be wrong.

Yep. I refuse to play that game untill it is fixed also. I have a Razer Mamba and Im not paying for that acceleration crap.

Actually was playing CS GO, been playing it for 2 months now, been pretty good but not great, all of a sudden i notice mouse accel turned on, and so i took it off, and ranked up 5 times in 3 days, getting headshot galore

My PC:

Case: Corsair C70, Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45, CPU: I5-4670k, RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance, GPU: Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming , PSU: Corsair RM650W Gold, Storage: 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD, 240 GB Kingston SSDNOW

Yep. I refuse to play that game untill it is fixed also. I have a Razer Mamba and Im not paying for that acceleration crap.

The razer Mamba has a ton of built in acceleration...

The razer Mamba has a ton of built in acceleration...

I turned it off and I cant feel any.

I turned it off and I cant feel any.

Its built in. It uses Razer's dual sensor which does have built in acceleration. Very few Laser mice don't have acceleration and Mamba is no exception.

Its built in. It uses Razer's dual sensor which does have built in acceleration. Very few Laser mice don't have acceleration and Mamba is no exception.

HDST mouse FTW. 

† Christian Member †