Im thinking of buying a 144hz monitor

Voltzz

Hello, i am thinking of buying a new monitor, ofc i would like to upgrade from 60hz to 144hz. Im not unfamiliar with computer hardware but i still cant get my head around how exatly the consept of hertz works, so my big question is as simple. 

Is my config good enough for 144hz gaming? (picture of specs). If not, what are my best bets to get the best performance out of it?

I mainly play fps shooters (CSGO, Battlefield, etc) :)20190724_013859.jpg.86e55c06ae222aa9b6c2469be738354c.jpg

For sure I am rocking a 240hz and I have a lower spec system then you. I dont always reach the 240 but in most of the games I play I am above 144 at all times.

Just now, Hamface55 said:

For sure I am rocking a 240hz and I have a lower spec system then you. I dont always reach the 240 but in most of the games I play I am above 144

Thanks m8, i just wanted to get some opinions before i click buy. :))

11 minutes ago, Voltzz said:

Hello, i am thinking of buying a new monitor, ofc i would like to upgrade from 60hz to 144hz. Im not unfamiliar with computer hardware but i still cant get my head around how exatly the consept of hertz works, so my big question is as simple. 

Is my config good enough for 144hz gaming? (picture of specs). If not, what are my best bets to get the best performance out of it?

I mainly play fps shooters (CSGO, Battlefield, etc) :)20190724_013859.jpg.86e55c06ae222aa9b6c2469be738354c.jpg

This is quite the post i was literally about to purchase one today and didnt know if it was worth it think i found what i wanna do nice post!

14 minutes ago, Voltzz said:

Hertz is a measure of inverse seconds.  Ie, "how many times per second".  In the context of a monitor, it's the measure of how many times per second the screen refreshes.  This number indicates the maximum number of frames per second that can be displayed.  If you run at 200 fps, your computer is creating 200 frames every second, but the monitor can only show 60 of them, if it is 60 Hz.  a 144 Hz monitor would be able to display up to 144 frames per second and thus would make all motion appear much smoother.  144 is to 60 as 60 is to 25.

14 minutes ago, Voltzz said:

It should do quite nicely for most games, particularly the easier to run ones.  A higher framerate places a lot of load on both the GPU and CPU, while going to a higher resolution as a general rule is primarily a GPU intensive load only, so keep in mind that a powerful card needs a good CPU to keep it fed at higher FPS.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 7/24/2019 at 2:10 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hertz is a measure of inverse seconds.  Ie, "how many times per second".  In the context of a monitor, it's the measure of how many times per second the screen refreshes.  This number indicates the maximum number of frames per second that can be displayed.  If you run at 200 fps, your computer is creating 200 frames every second, but the monitor can only show 60 of them, if it is 60 Hz.  a 144 Hz monitor would be able to display up to 144 frames per second and thus would make all motion appear much smoother.  144 is to 60 as 60 is to 25.

It should do quite nicely for most games, particularly the easier to run ones.  A higher framerate places a lot of load on both the GPU and CPU, while going to a higher resolution as a general rule is primarily a GPU intensive load only, so keep in mind that a powerful card needs a good CPU to keep it fed at higher FPS.

Thanks for the very detailed post Ryan.