Gigabyte reputation

Livesundersink

I'm thinking of buying a Gigabyte graphics card and i was wondering what sort of reputation they have these days. I have heard some polarizing stories about their motherboards, but i haven't heard much about their graphics cards, can anyone shed some light at all? are they on par with the other brands? If i shouldn't buy a Gigabyte what should i buy?

gigabyte has some nice, and even top tier cards

but it depends more per model, even the most known like asus can make mistakes (ahem strix vrm)

2 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I had a radeon HD 7950s VRMs literally catch fire on me one day. I had it running on the test bed and flames came out of a MOSFET on the board.

to this day, the card still works just fine. 

I have no idea what engineering gigabyte used for that card but buy did it work!

I fried my Windforce GTX 680 when my 2 of 3 case fans died. Gpu baking solved my issue and I sold it afterwards. I had like 9600 GSO from Gigabyte too and it was also in my previous fryer build. I had a gpu die in there because of heat and that little passively cooled guy just didnt care about 0 case airflow and it works or at least it did a few months ago so my experience was pretty good but I had to invest into some case cooling and I bought some Corsair ML fans and my case temps are pretty low now. I like frying gpus. I LOVE frying gpus. Sorry for my english

47 minutes ago, Livesundersink said:

I'm thinking of buying a Gigabyte graphics card and i was wondering what sort of reputation they have these days. I have heard some polarizing stories about their motherboards, but i haven't heard much about their graphics cards, can anyone shed some light at all? are they on par with the other brands? If i shouldn't buy a Gigabyte what should i buy?

Let me give you my personal experience friend.  I have really liked their recent stuff.  You are correct that a few mobos ago they werent putting out top of the line stuff, but they have upped their game a lot.  Hardware unboxed did a nice z390 comparison video (aorus master for gigabyte, against things like the asus hero, taichi, etc) and they found that it not only ran cooler than the other mobos but also has some of the best VRM of any of them.  They seem to be continuing this trend with the recent x570's from gigabyte being featured in a lot of the reviews, also with excellent VRM and build quality.  Suffice it to say they have upped their mobo game a lot in the last couple years.  I have their aorus master z390 and if I get an x570 I will be getting another aorus.

I have also had 2 models of their GPU's.  I have had the windforce (triple fan cooler) and gaming OC versions (almost identical triple fan cooler, just the tiniest bit thicker heat sink).  They worked just fine.  They weren't very loud except if I had them pushed to their absolute extreme, but once I got better case ventilation this became a non issue.  I will say the coolers on those cards do feel a little cheap when compared to other aftermarket cards, if you care about that.  They look a little plain as well.  

The aorus series GPU's not only look pretty cool (if not a little busy) but are supposed to have comparable cooling / quietness to a strix GPU or the MSI gaming trio.  But the price is also in line with those cards 

Sorry for the long winded reply, I just have used a lot of their recent gen stuff and do like it.  If you are getting a GPU the windforce / gaming OC versions do a fine job and are a good value for your money.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Not sure what gigabyte GPU you are looking at getting but avoid the Vega 56, it's known to have issues with VRM and overheating.  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

1 hour ago, Livesundersink said:

I have a Gigabtye RX570 and have not had any serious problems. I will note though that their RGBFusion software (to control the LED's) is utter crap.

I think they are mid-tier because the fans arent the best and the designs aren't that great thermally consider how beefy the cooler is. You can tell by looking at all the reviews of 1080ti gpus that GamersNexus did. It seems the Asus Strix 1080ti has the best cooler.

Overall, I've had no problem with my Aorus 1080ti after 2 years. The temps/noise level are great

20 hours ago, Zberg said:

Let me give you my personal experience friend.  I have really liked their recent stuff.  You are correct that a few mobos ago they werent putting out top of the line stuff, but they have upped their game a lot.  Hardware unboxed did a nice z390 comparison video (aorus master for gigabyte, against things like the asus hero, taichi, etc) and they found that it not only ran cooler than the other mobos but also has some of the best VRM of any of them.  They seem to be continuing this trend with the recent x570's from gigabyte being featured in a lot of the reviews, also with excellent VRM and build quality.  Suffice it to say they have upped their mobo game a lot in the last couple years.  I have their aorus master z390 and if I get an x570 I will be getting another aorus.

I have also had 2 models of their GPU's.  I have had the windforce (triple fan cooler) and gaming OC versions (almost identical triple fan cooler, just the tiniest bit thicker heat sink).  They worked just fine.  They weren't very loud except if I had them pushed to their absolute extreme, but once I got better case ventilation this became a non issue.  I will say the coolers on those cards do feel a little cheap when compared to other aftermarket cards, if you care about that.  They look a little plain as well.  

The aorus series GPU's not only look pretty cool (if not a little busy) but are supposed to have comparable cooling / quietness to a strix GPU or the MSI gaming trio.  But the price is also in line with those cards 

Sorry for the long winded reply, I just have used a lot of their recent gen stuff and do like it.  If you are getting a GPU the windforce / gaming OC versions do a fine job and are a good value for your money.

Thank your for reply, what can you tell me about the gaming OC cards? that is a model which has caught my attention, the difference from the others being the middle fan which spins in the opposite direction to the others, they say this improves the temps and air flows, but does this make any difference? or is this just snake oil and jargon designed to make us want to buy one of these over anything else.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, Cypher-Jackson said:

I think they are mid-tier because the fans arent the best and the designs aren't that great thermally consider how beefy the cooler is. You can tell by looking at all the reviews of 1080ti gpus that GamersNexus did. It seems the Asus Strix 1080ti has the best cooler.

Overall, I've had no problem with my Aorus 1080ti after 2 years. The temps/noise level are great

I think that is a good assessment.  The Strix is now my favorite card I have ever owned and just amazing how quiet it is.  I think the aorus card from gigabyte approaches this level of beefy heatsink and quality, but I certainly will be going strix in any future build now that I have it.

That being said, I had 2080 versions of the windforce, and gaming OC.  They worked just fine.  You are right, def feel a little mid tier esp in terms of build quality, however, they did work very well and were reasonably quiet, esp for the price

Also, priced very well.  Newegg store on ebay had multiple gigabyte sales.  When it was rare to fine a new one under 700, they had them for 629, which is honestly a great deal (well it was until the super launched!)

10 hours ago, Livesundersink said:

Thank your for reply, what can you tell me about the gaming OC cards? that is a model which has caught my attention, the difference from the others being the middle fan which spins in the opposite direction to the others, they say this improves the temps and air flows, but does this make any difference? or is this just snake oil and jargon designed to make us want to buy one of these over anything else.

I understand what they are saying with the airflow stuff, but honestly I dont think it makes a huge difference.  The gaming OC card is almost identical to their base windforce model but when you look at them side by side, there is a thickness difference, with the gaming OC being just a tad thicker (of course the other difference is it is clocked a tad higher out of the box).  I believe the heatsink is just ever so slightly improved.  Same fans on both though.  They certainly did the trick for me and worked just fine, honestly the noise was never that bad at all (with one card), and the price was phenomenal at the time.  However, when you SLI two cards on air only, it's hard to dissipate all that heat, so I ended up selling them both and just getting a single strix 2080 ti.  No regrets, I didn't lose a dollar on them they sold at cost on ebay.