GPU frequency lock

Bush Badger

I am just wondering is it a good idea to lock GPU frequencies while gaming? I dont really want the GPU to keep going up and down and only boost the clock speed when its needed. Will it hurt my GPU in the long run if i lock it at 2025mhz? The GPU is a 2080TI Lightning Z

gpu boost will never hurt the gpu itself. The only way you can really hurt your gpu is by changing the voltage. By all means, you should not lock the gpu, but allow gpu boost to run on its own. An overclock to the core clock and memory clock will help gain more performance & will not hurt the gpu 

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

gpu boost will never hurt the gpu itself. The only way you can really hurt your gpu is by changing the voltage. By all means, you should not lock the gpu, but allow gpu boost to run on its own. An overclock to the core clock and memory clock will help gain more performance & will not hurt the gpu 

I understand, however because its going from 2030mhz+ when things are intense then suddenly dropping back down to around 1300mhz+ causes frame dips, and frame dips really messes with the consistency with aiming.

2 minutes ago, Bush Badger said:

I understand, however because its going from 2030mhz+ when things are intense then suddenly dropping back down to around 1300mhz+ causes frame dips, and frame dips really messes with the consistency with aiming.

2030 to 1300 sounds far too drastic to be based on gpu boost alone. Is your gpu very close to a side panel? From the sounds of it, i'd guess it's choked for air and thermal throttling

7 minutes ago, Derrk said:

2030 to 1300 sounds far too drastic to be based on gpu boost alone. Is your gpu very close to a side panel? From the sounds of it, i'd guess it's choked for air and thermal throttling

no, its an open case and temps are at around 46C. But yeah baseclock is around 1300 and boost clock is at around 1700+ 

1 minute ago, Bush Badger said:

no, its an open case and temps are at around 46C. But yeah baseclock is around 1300 and boost clock is at around 2000+ 

In that case I'm not sure. You may want to play around with overclocking, and try to dial in an OC as close as you can to that 2030mhz mark. I'm sorry if i cant help more, I haven't gotten to play with any 20 series cards :/

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

In that case I'm not sure. You may want to play around with overclocking, and try to dial in an OC as close as you can to that 2030mhz mark. I'm sorry if i cant help more, I haven't gotten to play with any 20 series cards :/

no no, thank you Derrk I really appreciate your input. Maybe someone in the community can take over when they wake up

Tbh I am having trouble with almost all my games. What frames are you getting at 1080p?  

Just now, starcoaster said:

>1080p

i run 4k60

I am sorry if I offended you, I mainly just want to achieve high stable frames while playing competitive esports titles. 

if you're getting lots of frame stuttering while trying to run high refresh rates i'd look more at what our CPU is doing - the 2080ti is plenty enough for 144hz at 1080p but y'know, at those framerates anything that grabs a chunk of CPU time can cause problems.

oh okay, I am running a 9900k at 5Ghz. I am not very good with OC and just followed guides on the internet, do you have any good suggestions? 

4 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

ehhhh, to be honest that cpu and overclock is pretty standard stuff and it's good.

have you tried wiping and re-installing drivers yet? if it's still happening, see if you can notice any jumps in CPU usage when the GPU drops down.

i'm a 60fps guy so HRR is out of my league but i see no reason a GPU should be cutting core clocks back like you say yours is

My CPU can be quite finicky at times I do get really high CPU usage but thats mostly because of 1080p right? Also quick question, would packet loss also cause frame problems? My internet is really unreliable 

5 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

no, it shouldn't, display rendering is a wholly internal process. if you were streaming games from another device then yeah but, by the sounds of it you're not

okay, maybe I am asking too much of my CPU then. Thought right now 9900k is the best anyone can buy for gaming right? Though I dont get how streamers can play games without hiccups and my specs are the same if not better....

no, your setup should be able to do this no problems, it sounds like something is interfering and asking for CPU or GPU time while you're playing

I do like to keep a browser open and youtube playing on the side.... would that be the culprit?

Also I have these installed

Afterburner

Rivatuner

CAM by NZXT 

this OS is my 5th reinstall though I dont have it activated, do you have any good win 10 build I should be on?

Can’t narrow down an issue if you aren’t looking for it yourself. 

If theres a provlem, you should prolly not run any other programs and see. Also checking the usage of everything at the same time, high cpu usage is quite vague.  Are you checking per core while gaming?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

10 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Can’t narrow down an issue if you aren’t looking for it yourself. 

If theres a provlem, you should prolly not run any other programs and see. Also checking the usage of everything at the same time, high cpu usage is quite vague.  Are you checking per core while gaming?

No you are right, I definitely should keep my eyes on my per core usage. It just seems taht Rainbow 6 really likes to use 90% of my CPU while playing at 1080p lowest settings

45 minutes ago, Bush Badger said:

No you are right, I definitely should keep my eyes on my per core usage. It just seems taht Rainbow 6 really likes to use 90% of my CPU while playing at 1080p lowest settings

Yea, the lower the graphic settings the more the cpu should work. Assuming you aren't using a frame cap. I turn mine up as much as I can. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 7/19/2019 at 7:44 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Yea, the lower the graphic settings the more the cpu should work. Assuming you aren't using a frame cap. I turn mine up as much as I can. 

the jitter has now been eliminated by one simple step , i enabled scanline sync with the same value as my fps cap. Who would have known ;o