Hello everybody, i have recently out together a ryzen out of used parts

ryzen 7 1800x

16gb g.skill aegis 2400mhz

aorus b450m

Case : DIY-F2P

650w psu

1tb hdd

prism led cooler

all of that for just 350 canadian dollars !

Anyway, Obviously the only thing missing from this build is a GPU, and i came across a vega 64 for 350 canadian dollars, but it's an asus strix card, and i am worried that my tiny case will not be adequate to cool this. I currently have an xfx r9 290 in there, and that is hitting 93c and ONLY JUST avoiding thermal throttling, and the vega 64 has similar TDP and lower max temp so... Any thoughts ?

PS: I installed an additional 120mm fan on the top of the case, so no more room for case fans.

Which XFX card do you currently have? The blower cooler or the dual fans? If it's the blower, that's your problem. if it's the dual fans you may have heat issues elsewhere. You could get a larger CPU cooler (like the Hyper 212 Evo) and do a push-pull config and blow all the CPU heat out the rear exhaust, or switch to a watercooler (best option in this case). Your current CPU cooler is just blowing all the heat into your case which doesn't help your GPU. Improve airflow, get that CPU heat out, and see how that performs.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

That is an admittedly junk case, but it still won't likely overheat even with a Vega 64 space heater installed. I'm going to make an unconventional suggestion, people are probably going to hate it, but IMHO, I would get a third fan for the case and place it at the top, and shift the intake fan up as high as it can go without being unduly obstructed by the front panel. It appears to have open type expansion slot covers which the negative airflow design will pull air through to give the GPU a better source of cool air than a second intake fan would and the intake fan should supply plenty of air to the CPU area. The CPU WILL run warmer in this configuration, but even in this less than ideal situation, the CPU will not overheat(read thermal throttle or remotely unsafe for longevity) and the GPU will run cooler.

@RobFRaschke I might get it, a vega 64 for 350 $ seems like a pretty good deal and it does have some undervolting potential. Installing the third fan and doing as you suggested now means that my CPU is fine ( bit hotter ) and my gpu takes a full hour to get to 93c ( a degree below throttling ) so no loss in performance at least. Would make a pretty great 700 $ pc.