Can someone explain what "Smart Volume" is ?

T0MMEN
Go to solution Solved by T0MMEN,

UPDATE:

Turns out it is as you guys (and I thought firstly)

Extreme compresses the audio (although it didnt seem that way in games)

Soft does not compress as much.

I recorded a song (with the diffrent sound settings) took the audio and pasted it in Adobe premiere so i could look at the audio files.

1st track is no audio effect.
2nd track is soft
3rd is extreme

image.png.ad9894426dcde869451e5be05551fa64.png

So my motherboard, z370-f, has this audiodriver called sonic stuido 3. What is smart volume? There are 3 options, soft, balanced and extreme. I cant really tell what they do. Soft makes the volume go up, extreme makes the volume go down.

Is this some kind of sound eq? And what settings is what? Im so confused.

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

15 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

So my motherboard, z370-f, has this audiodriver called sonic stuido 3. What is smart volume? There are 3 options, soft, balanced and extreme. I cant really tell what they do. Soft makes the volume go up, extreme makes the volume go down.

Is this some kind of sound eq? And what settings is what? Im so confused.

I think it is to do with getting all audio to the same volume, so quieter sounds are made louder, then louder sounds are made quieter.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

6 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I think it is to do with getting all audio to the same volume, so quieter sounds are made louder, then louder sounds are made quieter.

damn so basically anti dynamic range

5 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah thats what im thinking, but it doesnt really seem that way.... Do you have any pointers? Im thinking extreme should be so it makes the quieter sounds louder and louder sounds quieter (more). And the soft makes it less. But it sure doesnt seem that way.

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

damn so basically anti dynamic range

Can we get an F for HDR Audio

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, T0MMEN said:

Yeah thats what im thinking, but it doesnt really seem that way.... Do you have any pointers? Im thinking extreme should be so it makes the quieter sounds louder and louder sounds quieter (more). And the soft makes it less. But it sure doesnt seem that way.

Soft just means that the high volume sounds arent brang down in volume as much, as in they are only pushed down in volume softly :3 (idk)

Extreme is like the volume is shoved down, try playing audio with whispers then a big explosion on the different modes. I think this is what they mean by extreme and soft etc.

3 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Soft just means that the high volume sounds arent brang down in volume as much, as in they are only pushed down in volume softly :3 (idk)

Extreme is like the volume is shoved down, try playing audio with whispers then a big explosion on the different modes. I think this is what they mean by extreme and soft etc.

I just launch csgo, played some rounds with bots, trying to hear the diffrence with gun shots and footsteps. Its backwards. Soft eq the sound more, and extreme does it less. Its so bizzard as why they made it this way.

I just launch csgo, played some rounds with bots, trying to hear the diffrence with gun shots and footsteps. Its backwards. Soft eq the sound more, and extreme does it less. Its so bizzard as why they made it this way.

Odd. Maybe extreme means the dynamic range is extremely compressed?

could be taming the bass and mids and letting the highs go in ordder to highlight footsteps. and the extreme is pushing other frequencies like the opposite? try listening to music and see what happens to the mass and voices or symbols

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

could be taming the bass and mids and letting the highs go in ordder to highlight footsteps. and the extreme is pushing other frequencies like the opposite? try listening to music and see what happens to the mass and voices or symbols

Its kinda hard to tell, soft also make the volume louder, and extreme makes it quieter. So I also have to adjust the volume level and listen for theese things :D

8 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Odd. Maybe extreme means the dynamic range is extremely compressed?

i think its opposite, from what i can hear and tell. It sounds like soft is the one that compresses the most.  Cause of the volume increase when setting it to soft. Like 3kliksphilips mentions in his video,  when compressed, the volume gets louder. But no spikes?

UPDATE:

Turns out it is as you guys (and I thought firstly)

Extreme compresses the audio (although it didnt seem that way in games)

Soft does not compress as much.

I recorded a song (with the diffrent sound settings) took the audio and pasted it in Adobe premiere so i could look at the audio files.

1st track is no audio effect.
2nd track is soft
3rd is extreme

image.png.ad9894426dcde869451e5be05551fa64.png