Windows 1903 failed

Go to solution Solved by TheNamesLigma,

OK guys, i just did a clean install to 1903 and it works thanks for you help, i beleive the system corrupted when moving windows from the HDD to my sdd

Hey all,

My windows (1803) will not update to 1903. It will download and install but fail at 100. With error code 0xc1420121 and one other.

I tried:

Restarting, direct update, windows update assistant, restart, windows troubleshooter update, remove perihals, download 1903 as an iso didnt install. 

However DISM, restore health fails, and DISM says source files missing or corrupted. How do i fix this corrupution and would it impact the update?

TLDR: 1903 update fails do due to potential image corruption

It's very possible that current corrupt system fails could cause an update to fail.

Try running sfc /SCANNOW from an elevated prompt.

From experience, I have seen this error in the past with people who:

• Used registry cleaner software at some point in time
  • Has a malware or virus which was removed, but the system was not re-installed (anti-virus / anti-malware does not fix the system from an infection, it just removes it.)

I'll also add (as it falls into the same boat of registry changes or system files changes):

• If you used a system tweak utility, depending on what you did, it may have broken the system by doing some major change (or has a bug and broke things)
  • If you use a security software beside Windows Update, uninstall it before, restart, and try again.

You can also try the following (worth a shot):

• Make sure all your drivers are fully updated
  • Make sure all your software are fully updated

Thanks for the replies. Not not from w7 to w10, from w1803 to w1903, which failed.

All my drivers are fully updated. And I used AI suites auto OC. And I moved windows from a HDD to SDD with macrium reflect. And I tried a DISM Restore Health and it got stuck at 85.2% saying source files could not be found. 

also the SFC ?SCANOW "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

6 hours ago, TheNamesLigma said:

And I tried a DISM Restore Health and it got stuck at 85.2% saying source files could not be found. 

Microsoft still hosts ISO files of older Windows version, so download 1803 in the language and architecture you have, and mount the ISO.

Next, try the DISM restore health command again, only this time using the /source switch specifying the <virtual DVD>:\Source\install.esd (or .wim) as the source.

13 hours ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Microsoft still hosts ISO files of older Windows version, so download 1803 in the language and architecture you have, and mount the ISO.

Next, try the DISM restore health command again, only this time using the /source switch specifying the <virtual DVD>:\Source\install.esd (or .wim) as the source.

Thank your for your help, but where are they hosted I cannot find anything.

and I hopw this helps

10 hours ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Your best is via Heidoc's download tool.

How "safe" is it to do this? I'm always a bit suspicious of non-official things like these.

20 hours ago, Glazarus said:

How "safe" is it to do this? I'm always a bit suspicious of non-official things like these.

It basically creates a series of webpages that end up with links to files hosted on Microsoft's servers, so it's perfectly safe.

Ok the 1903 update failed, to a mircosoft BOI told me that my computer may be incompatible, and to upgrade to 1809 first then to 1903. Do you see anything wrong with that?

2 hours ago, TheNamesLigma said:

a mircosoft BOI told me that my computer may be incompatible, and to upgrade to 1809 first then to 1903. Do you see anything wrong with that?

There is nothing really wrong with that. Some software and/or hardware may cause problems with an upgrade, so generally speaking those upgrades are blocked by Windows update until the issue has been resolved. Chances are you can upgrade to 1809, and possibly upgrade to 1903 later on.

11 hours ago, TheDelphiDude said:

There is nothing really wrong with that. Some software and/or hardware may cause problems with an upgrade, so generally speaking those upgrades are blocked by Windows update until the issue has been resolved. Chances are you can upgrade to 1809, and possibly upgrade to 1903 later on.

The 1809 Update did not work. However I will try it in safe mode. This is driving me up the damn wall, im seeing no alternative but to do a clean-install

A dism of the 1803 ISO I downloaded was unsuccesfull

[===========================84.9%=================         ]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

Did you mount the ISO file as a virtual drive? And what ISO file did you get? If it's for a single architecture you'll need to specify <virtual DVD>:\Sources\install.esd, otherwise you'll need to use <virtual DVD>:\x64\Sources\install.esd (for 64 bit Windows) or <virtual DVD>:\x86\Sources\install.esd (for 32 bit Windows).

Mount it is a virtual drive? I just pressed mount, and it showed up as a dvd drive looks like. and x64.

And it is 1803 same build number as the one I have currently, the 2019 1803 update. Updating to 1809 and 1903 failed also. 

So what what the Command line be "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\sources\install.wim    "

Mine is .wim. And it is on my Local SSD. 

i tried a windows update and it failed with " Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0xc1420121"

OK guys, i just did a clean install to 1903 and it works thanks for you help, i beleive the system corrupted when moving windows from the HDD to my sdd