New server, now what

Hey everyone,

So I happened upon a server, and I also have like 3U available for plugging one in. Problem is that I'm not very creative and I dunno what to do with it now.

The place that I'm hosting it will let me do basically anything not illegal; so no piracy etc.

minecraft server, voip, or storage come to mind. also pics and specs? ?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I'm in that boat of having a server to play with but not sure what practical things to do with it.  So far I have a Minecraft server up for my kids to play with.

The server OS is ESXI and server Minecraft server is running on an Ubuntu server VM.  It was a good learning experience as I haven't really dived into Linux command line before.

I just need to think of what other games would be fun to play at home through a home dedicated server.

It's an R 710 with dual e5520's and however much ram and storage I can dig up lol

What's the point if your home internet speed can't even get close to the speeds that thing can handle

34 minutes ago, Sil3nt1 said:

What's the point if your home internet speed can't even get close to the speeds that thing can handle

It's not in the house, it's going to get racked at a datacenter where I can get free hosting

4 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

In your case I would probably spin up a gaming server.  

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea