Anyone else having very high boot times with Ryzen 3000?

I recently upgraded to a 3600x and put it in an MSI Tomahawk B450; both the CPU and motherboard are new. Immediately I noticed that cold boots are extremely slow, I just timed it at 1 minute and 54 seconds. This isn't anything to do with storage as once Windows gets a hold of things it only take 11 seconds to get from the POST screen to login, but the board takes 1:43 to POST. I've looked around in the BIOS and I don't see any settings like "fast-boot" which were on my previous board. I did some research and apparently this happened with previous Ryzen generations and was fixed with a later BIOS update, but Ryzen 3000 hasn't had such an improvement yet. Is anyone else having the same issue?

AllTheMegahertz

You need to clean install windows when you change motherboards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ryzen having slow post is pretty common; my old Gigabyte AX370 Gaming was terrible.

It's probably RAM training. Make sure your memory is set up appropriately

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You need to clean install windows when you change motherboards.

I don't think that's correct, nor would it be the issue here. I've changed motherboards before without reinstalling Windows without a problem. The Windows key is invalidated, but all you have to do is call Microsoft and that gets resolved within a few minutes. I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with Windows since the only slow part of the boot sequence is getting to POST. It takes almost as long to get into the BIOS, even when there isn't even any storage connected to the motherboard.

AllTheMegahertz

2 minutes ago, AllTheMegahertz said:

I don't think that's correct, nor would it be the issue here. I've changed motherboards before without reinstalling Windows without a problem. The Windows key is invalidated, but all you have to do is call Microsoft and that gets resolved within a few minutes. I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with Windows since the only slow part of the boot sequence is getting to POST. It takes almost as long to get into the BIOS, even when there isn't even any storage connected to the motherboard.

Well you SHOULD be clean isntalling windows when you change motherboards if you want things to work correctly.

Also you don't need to call microsoft, you should link your key to a microsoft account and then you can just log in and it will activate.

This is the proper way of doing it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Try unplugging all of your peripherals too, not just storage devices. Also load optimized defaults in the BIOS settings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

34 minutes ago, AllTheMegahertz said:

I recently upgraded to a 3600x and put it in an MSI Tomahawk B450; both the CPU and motherboard are new. Immediately I noticed that cold boots are extremely slow, I just timed it at 1 minute and 54 seconds. This isn't anything to do with storage as once Windows gets a hold of things it only take 11 seconds to get from the POST screen to login, but the board takes 1:43 to POST. I've looked around in the BIOS and I don't see any settings like "fast-boot" which were on my previous board. I did some research and apparently this happened with previous Ryzen generations and was fixed with a later BIOS update, but Ryzen 3000 hasn't had such an improvement yet. Is anyone else having the same issue?

You're one of the lucky ones lol...i've read that some people take 2-3 mins to post with the new ryzens on b450 tomahawk boards. Wait till they fix their bios for that board and it should improve

I built a 3700x on a B450 pro carbon ac, and the first time, it took 1 minute to post into bios, but after that on the second power on and after, it was only seconds

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Have you tried updating to bios to the latest one?

Yes, I'm running version 7C02v18. I assume that in the coming weeks another version will come out to improve boot speeds as has been the case with previous generations.

AllTheMegahertz

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, I had this problem when I put my 2 memory sticks in the last 2 slots and forgot to put them back after changing the fan/heatsink.

Solution: Check your memory is in the optimal slots, typically slot 1 and slot 3.

The other affect of putting the memory in the wrong sockets on AM4 with Ryzen 3400g was that my timespy benchmark result was literally halved from roughly 1400 to 700!

Edited by MrL0G1C
wording

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2019 at 10:36 PM, MrL0G1C said:

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, I had this problem when I put my 2 memory sticks in the last 2 slots and forgot to put them back after changing the fan/heatsink.

Solution: Check your memory is in the optimal slots, typically slot 1 and slot 3.

The other affect of putting the memory in the wrong sockets on AM4 with Ryzen 3400g was that my timespy benchmark result was literally halved from roughly 1400 to 700!

This is only true when you begin counting at 0. Always check your mainboards manual for memory installation.

I had a slow post or no post at all with the anne pro 2 when plugged with usb ... my pc wouldn't go past post until I unplug the damn keyboard.  about the same with the redragon k552 ... took about 2 min to go to windows loading ...

I don't have any problem like that with the gmmk, the kemove snowfox, my old razer, a cheap lexma and the durgod fusion ... only the redragon k552 and specially the anne pro 2 ... maybe it's just a strange thing like that happening there.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD