Looking for a suitable sound card / AMP for the HyperX Alpha

Dabyatta

I decided I would buy either the HyperX Alpha or the HyperX Mix as they had some pretty good frequency response rates and high impedance. Unsure which one I want exactly, but either way, I need a sound-card.

I took a look at the FAQ for this board, so I understand the basics of what to look for. With that being said, I still have zero idea where to search, what to spend, and what people have had good experiences with.

Do I need to drop $200 on a specific piece, or will just about anything fulfill what those headphones require? 

Thanks in advance ?

11 minutes ago, Dabyatta said:

I decided I would buy either the HyperX Alpha or the HyperX Mix as they had some pretty good frequency response rates and high impedance. Unsure which one I want exactly, but either way, I need a sound-card.

I took a look at the FAQ for this board, so I understand the basics of what to look for. With that being said, I still have zero idea where to search, what to spend, and what people have had good experiences with.

Do I need to drop $200 on a specific piece, or will just about anything fulfill what those headphones require? 

Thanks in advance ?

you don't need a dac amp to run those headphones. they simply are not good enough nor are they particularly hard to drive to warrant an amp or dac. I'm not saying they straight up won't benefit they just won't warrant any price tag.  you are better off running on the onboard or the little usb adapter they come with like the FAQ says the only time you should spend money on a dac is if you are hearing noise from your current source such as your motherboard. so basically about anything will be able to suffice for those headphones. 

If you are going to get a dac amp, first get better headphones. Good cheap starter ones are Sennheiser HD 598/599/58X, audio technica aTH-M50/60?X, or their AD700X, and Beyerdynamic DT 770/990, and there are wayy more. A good dac amp is a fulla schiit 2.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

If you are going to get a dac amp, first get better headphones. Good cheap starter ones are Sennheiser HD 598/599/58X, audio technica aTH-M50/60?X, or their AD700X, and Beyerdynamic DT 770/990, and there are wayy more. A good dac amp is a fulla schiit 2.

i wouldn/'t even dac amp the m50 its really not that good . the rest on you r list are fine . and fulla2 while being overall alright it's DAC implementation is kinda iffy. a fiio k3 or a dac x6 is probably more worthwhile for the money 

Just now, rice guru said:

i wouldn/'t even dac amp the m50 its really not that good . the rest on you r list are fine . and fulla2 while being overall alright it's DAC implementation is kinda iffy. a fiio k3 or a dac x6 is probably more worthwhile for the money 

Not sure about the M50, but the fulla 2 looks nice, and is what I have, and is a huge upgrade over mobo. But yeah, I’m not really an audiophile, so I’d defer to you.

43 minutes ago, rice guru said:

you don't need a dac amp to run those headphones. they simply are not good enough nor are they particularly hard to drive to warrant an amp or dac. I'm not saying they straight up won't benefit they just won't warrant any price tag.  you are better off running on the onboard or the little usb adapter they come with like the FAQ says the only time you should spend money on a dac is if you are hearing noise from your current source such as your motherboard. so basically about anything will be able to suffice for those headphones. 

10 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Thanks guys :D Guess that solves my worry lol.

Would it really be worth the extra $20-$40 to get any of the headphones you guys recommended? Is the audio quality just that much better, or is there a different reason I should get them?

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Not sure about the M50, but the fulla 2 looks nice, and is what I have, and is a huge upgrade over mobo. But yeah, I’m not really an audiophile, so I’d defer to you.

im not saying it's at all bad a bad unit in fact it's a great little unit nothing really wrong with the unit aside from some people having issues with the dac. I did give my friend's fula 2 a listen once and to me it sounded fine. so it could be a batch or Quality control Issue I don'rt quite know. the m50 is ust not a very good heapdhone for the price and lacks certain qualities htta I would personally deem make a headphone good

1 minute ago, Dabyatta said:

Thanks guys :D Guess that solves my worry lol.

Would it really be worth the extra $20-$40 to get any of the headphones you guys recommended? Is the audio quality just that much better, or is there a different reason I should get them?

personally for me yes it's worth it. it not only opens you up to more options you will be getting more price to performance.  but take into account I have multiple headphones and have a DAC and amp already to drive them so my opinion is already skewed. but if you are strained for space or just prefer the value of a headset I would say look for better headset options in the headset realm like a sennheiser pc37x, or a cooler master mh 751/752. honestly if your not too serious about really  getting into the nitty-gritty into headphones I say one of the headsets I previously recommended is what I deem to be good enough for most people and is perfectly good in both gaming and music and I personally would be happy with either of them if I didn't already have my current gear. both headphones are based on already existing good budget headphones loved by the audio community just slightly retuned and put into a new chassis and attached a mic into it. 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

but if you are curious I could definitely give you some headphone recommendations. 

Yeah go for it man!

On 7/15/2019 at 1:20 AM, rice guru said:

whats your total budget? including a mic 

I already have a Blue Yeti Pro, so no mic. Lets say $100 for the headset.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:25 AM, rice guru said:

and what type of music do you listen to?

A lot of piano, but sometimes some rock. Honestly, its nothing specific. I'm just looking for an all around good pair of headphones that can double as something to use while I play games.

3 minutes ago, Dabyatta said:

I already have a Blue Yeti Pro, so no mic. Lets say $100 for the headset.

A lot of piano, but sometimes some rock. Honestly, its nothing specific. I'm just looking for an all around good pair of headphones that can double as something to use while I play games.

sivga 006, takstarpro 82,shp9500s, hd 559's,status audio cb 1's, also the creative aurvana live 1 not 2

sivga 006 has some quality control isues.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:27 PM, rice guru said:

sivga 006, takstarpro 82,shp9500s, hd 559's,status audio cb 1's, also the creative aurvana live 1 not 2

sivga 006 has some quality control isues.

Thanks man!