Can someone explain mini itx boards?

Right so I've watched a few YouTube videos but nothing overly informative about mini itx mother boards.

What are the pros and cons of a mini itx mother board?

What makes it different from an ATX? Other than size.

@fasauceome

for expert opinion

As for my opinion:

Pros: Small

Cons: Less RAM slots, less PCIE slots, less SATA ports, generally less power delivery, generally harder to cool in the typical cases for mini itx

Sometimes, being small outweighs all of that stuff, though.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

@fasauceome

for expert opinion

As for my opinion:

Pros: Small

Cons: Less RAM slots, less PCIE slots, less SATA ports, generally less power delivery, generally harder to cool in the typical cases for mini itx

Okay so refresh my memory here.  Sata is used for hard drives?  

How many PCIE slots and data ports do you need?

And less power delivery to what if you don't mind me asking?  CPU? 

8 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

generally less power delivery

Everything but this, check out the vrm analysis by buildzoid on the new Gigabyte X570 I. Room is easy to spare for beefy power delivery.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Image result for mini itx size

Pros :

- Small size (obviously), if you want the smallest size pc but still retain some customization this is the ultimate platform. There are smaller platform than this, but usually employs proprietary board design that are not customisable . 

Cons:

- Limited expandability, only have 2 PCIe slot at most, tipically only 1. But the limitation usually balanced with an already complete integrated parts like build in wifi, m2 slots, sound, usb3 ports, gpu output etc.

- Not suited for overclocking, due to limited space, the vrm phase is limited, also the pcb crammed so many electronical connection so close that can generate more heat.

- Reduced number of memory slots (usually 2, not 4), 4 (even 2) SATA port (normally 6 or more), to save space. Some boards uses SoDimm (laptop memory) than longdimm.

- Depending on the case size, case made for ITX usually don't support long GPU size.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Image result for mini itx size

Pros :

- Small size (obviously), if you want the smallest size pc but still retain some customization this is the ultimate platform. There are smaller platform than this, but usually employs proprietary board design that are not customisable . 

Cons:

- Limited expandability, only have 2 PCIe slot at most, tipically only 1. But the limitation usually balanced with an already complete integrated parts like build in wifi, m2 slots, sound, usb3 ports, gpu output etc.

- Not suited for overclocking, due to limited space, the vrm phase is limited, also the pcb crammed so many electronical connection so close that can generate more heat.

- Reduced number of memory slots (usually 2, not 4), 4 (even 2) SATA port (normally 6 or more), to save space. Some boards uses SoDimm (laptop memory) than longdimm.

- Depending on the case size, case made for ITX usually don't support long GPU size.

Would that rule out a 2080 super on the x570i?

3 minutes ago, The Allfather said:

Would that rule out a 2080 super on the x570i?

I'm making general explanation about the ITX platform.

Looks like the x570i have a unusual vrm setup (i count 8), tipically 4 or 6 on other ITX boards. But if you compared it with the bigger brother, this is also reduced, the atx version may have whopping 16 phase.

Does it rule out a 2080 super, no, as i said the limitation for GPU is the case, if the case is large enough for 2080super, then you can use it here.

48 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Agree...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I'm making general explanation about the ITX platform.

Looks like the x570i have a unusual vrm setup (i count 8), tipically 4 or 6 on other ITX boards. But if you compared it with the bigger brother, this is also reduced, the atx version may have whopping 16 phase.

Does it rule out a 2080 super, no, as i said the limitation for GPU is the case, if the case is large enough for 2080super, then you can use it here.

Agree...

Do you have any helpful suggestions for videos on mother boards.  I'm a little confused about phases.  Again new to PC building. I know some stuff but have a lot of gaps.   Learning new stuff is awesome however.

Thanks again.

learning about power phases is very confusing really, myself still baffled with numerous type of chips, setup etc.

my word to you is simple : don't bother...

if you're using your pc like a normal person, not some overclocking freak, then you won't be using all that glorious features.

just make a cheklist, listdown what you need for the pc, and find out which is not supported in the motherboard.

especially for Ryzen 3000, if you wanna make use of the highend 12+ cores, you need a good vrm, this x570i got it.

check out this video which explain the board pcb:

It's hard to swallow, yes, as i said: don't bother.