Networking Help

Hi There, I need some help regarding a network for my home.

So, background first on my house layout. It is quite large, about 20 x 20 meters area, and 4 storeys high, each floor is about 2.2 meter high, structure is mostly concrete and really thick.

I just recently changed to a new ISP with 100 mbps speed. 

I've realized that the modem/router that my ISP has provided me sucks badly, with it only supporting 802.11n for WiFi. Fortunately, it does have 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet port. So, i have several question as i am going to create a home network for my business.

1. For better WiFi, do i need a good router or a good access point?

2. Should i get a mesh WiFi network, or should i get the UBNT Unifi Ap Pro and use that for the mesh network?

Access points, lots of them. Only upgrade the router unless it's really holding you back, I can recommend the USG from ubiquiti.

If you have the money, I would go for AP Pros, but you will need multiple (at least four, one per floor, maybe more depending on range). Concrete is not an easy material for Wifi to go through.

Do note that if you want to do this properly you should run wires to each AP. Just using wireless mesh is going to be iffy across so many floors.

14 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Access points, lots of them. Only upgrade the router unless it's really holding you back, I can recommend the USG from ubiquiti.

If you have the money, I would go for AP Pros, but you will need multiple (at least four, one per floor, maybe more depending on range). Concrete is not an easy material for Wifi to go through.

Do note that if you want to do this properly you should run wires to each AP. Just using wireless mesh is going to be iffy across so many floors.

Right,  say i just recently noticed that UBNT has released a new ap called Unifi NanoHD, how does it compare to the AP Pro?

And another question, this time it's for wired (Ethernet connection), how do i know whether my router will not bottleneck my wired network?

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Marti32997 said:

Right,  say i just recently noticed that UBNT has released a new ap called Unifi NanoHD, how does it compare to the AP Pro?

Nano HD Pros:
4x4 antenna, AC Wave-2

But has slightly slower 2.4 GHz speed and only one ethernet port compared to the AC-Pro.

It's up to your budget on what you can afford though. NanoHD costs more.

The Wave-2 speed is meant more for file transfers / extreme load though. Your internet speed won't be limited by AC-Pro APs, I have 150 Mb/s and it handles it just fine.