Fan pins

AnnaTheKitty
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What mobo? 5pin connector is proprietary, and usually used in prebuilds. There are no adapters. 

There are adapters but they're usually not worth the cost since you can usually get a better fan to begin with after tacking the cost of the adapter on top of a fan. https://www.amazon.com/Pocaton-Female-Socket-Connector-Cooling/dp/B073XJV5L9/ref=asc_df_B073XJV5L9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241963357402&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1768550020676952586&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032039&hvtargid=pla-465213213731&psc=1#customerReviews

1 hour ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

I have a Artic F8 80m fan that has only 3 pins on it.

I am getting a Dell Optiplex 990 and thought it would be better if I replace the fans that game with it with better ones.

The motherboard fan headers are pwm and could be adapted for 4pin pwm fans. 3pin fans don't have the built-in pwm ic to modulate the incoming 12v on the 2nd pin nor the 4th pin to receive a pwm signal so they'll run at 100% rpm if sent a pwm signal. 

I'd recommend seeing how the stock cooling performs before deciding on whether or not to change any of the fans. Dell's prebuilts tend to already have optimized airflow. 

So I just got my fans finally, and turns out the fans on the computer that I am trying to replace are 5 pin fans not 3 pin, can anyone help me find a adapter that has a 3 pin male to a 5 pin female? Or does it not matter and I can just hook up the 3 pin fan to the 5 pin on the motherboard?

What fans did you get?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

What mobo? 5pin connector is proprietary, and usually used in prebuilds. There are no adapters. So if younneed to either connect fans directly to PSU or get hardware controller, like Grid or Commander Pro.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, Constantin said:

What fans did you get?

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What mobo? 5pin connector is proprietary, and usually used in prebuilds. There are no adapters. So if younneed to either connect fans directly to PSU or get hardware controller, like Grid or Commander Pro.

I am getting a Dell Optiplex 990 and thought it would be better if I replace the fans that game with it with better ones.

53 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Yeah, you need to get hardware controller if you want to control those fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah, you need to get hardware controller if you want to control those fans.

What hardware controller do I need and how would I set it up?

1 minute ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

What hardware controller do I need and how would I set it up?

You can get either one with knobs, or USB connected one. USB ones use software and fan curves. Most notable ones are NZXT Grid (CAM as software) and Corsair Commander Pro (used to be Link). There might be other ones, but I'd need to do some digging to find out for sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What mobo? 5pin connector is proprietary, and usually used in prebuilds. There are no adapters. 

There are adapters but they're usually not worth the cost since you can usually get a better fan to begin with after tacking the cost of the adapter on top of a fan. https://www.amazon.com/Pocaton-Female-Socket-Connector-Cooling/dp/B073XJV5L9/ref=asc_df_B073XJV5L9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241963357402&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1768550020676952586&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032039&hvtargid=pla-465213213731&psc=1#customerReviews

1 hour ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

The motherboard fan headers are pwm and could be adapted for 4pin pwm fans. 3pin fans don't have the built-in pwm ic to modulate the incoming 12v on the 2nd pin nor the 4th pin to receive a pwm signal so they'll run at 100% rpm if sent a pwm signal. 

I'd recommend seeing how the stock cooling performs before deciding on whether or not to change any of the fans. Dell's prebuilts tend to already have optimized airflow. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

so they'll run at 100% rpm if sent a pwm signal.

He just run them with DC, no worries, it's like running PWN without that "fine tuning"

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

22 minutes ago, Constantin said:

He just run them with DC, no worries, it's like running PWN without that "fine tuning"

That might work with software like SpeedFan but I don't think dc control is normally available from Dell's motherboard settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

That might work with software like SpeedFan

And new gen motherboards, like my MSi mpg z390 ace, i can switch on all headers from AC to PWM