Great wifi adapter? Pci or usb

orlando690

Anyone know of a great cheap wifi adapter 

I need one for new pc 

I bought a linksys ae3000 a couple years back for $40 now its $70 :/

Before landing on that one I had horrible experiences with tplink and not so good rosewill. 

The range on the ae3000 is Amazing. I was able to get 5g on a spot of my house that my note 9 can't get as reliably. The speeds are also great, with the spectrum download speed boosts I saw download speeds of 5MB (500Mb) and maybe more, I don't remember since once it hit 5 I just fainted. Lol. 

Ping is at around 10-15, all my devices are there. 

The cheaper the better. But it has to actually be good, because all the other wifi adapter I tried (1-3 USB, and 1-2 pci) sucked ass but were reviewed ~4-5stars 

Don't need anything above 700mb on download since 680mb this one provides seems adequate, that is unless the price is right. 

Baby Beast:

B450m Mortar // 3700x // T Force Vulcan 16gb // Gaming X Trio RTX 2070S // sx8200 pro // 850W G

I've got the ASUS PCE-AC55BT because it was the only low-profile card in stock at the time that you could change the actual adapter out for another one and I only have one complaint, and that's that it uses a wired puck over regular antennas (just less durable is all, signal was great). I solved that with some I had laying around though. Unfortunately I have yet to truly put it through its paces on 5GHz as our network setup at the moment is kinda fucky.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Thanks. Looking at it, but Im interested in cheaper. Any one know anything about this? Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I

Baby Beast:

B450m Mortar // 3700x // T Force Vulcan 16gb // Gaming X Trio RTX 2070S // sx8200 pro // 850W G

4 hours ago, orlando690 said:

Thanks. Looking at it, but Im interested in cheaper. Any one know anything about this? Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I

Cheaper is almost guaranteed to not be that good.  You mentioned $40 and this is $34.99, so I'm not sure how much "cheaper" you are expecting.

Also despite what was said above, the external puck is a GOOD thing.  You can position the antennas for optimal signal whereas having antennas on the back of your PC will potentially be the very worse place for reception as the case will block a lot of the signal, depending on where your router/AP is.

This adapter is almost always recommend on the forum to anyone wanting a good WiFi adapter for a sane price.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

33 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Cheaper is almost guaranteed to not be that good.  You mentioned $40 and this is $34.99, so I'm not sure how much "cheaper" you are expecting.

Also despite what was said above, the external puck is a GOOD thing.  You can position the antennas for optimal signal whereas having antennas on the back of your PC will potentially be the very worse place for reception as the case will block a lot of the signal, depending on where your router/AP is.

This adapter is almost always recommend on the forum to anyone wanting a good WiFi adapter for a sane price.

The recommendation is $53. The specs I see are lower than my current one. I know most of the time I don't use the full amount. But in long downloads I do get a boost in internet speed for a while which helps. 

I've tested mine and I know it can reach higher than advertised (wierd I know) but seeing something for 53 and no reviews that answer questions such as what do you get on other devices, what is the speed your paying for, what is the reliability of your speed / connection. 

I'm just traumatized from all the failing wifi adabters/cards I've gotten. 

Yes the thing I linked is 32. Scary. I've seen one bad review and one good. But it has Bluetooth. Thinking of giving it a shot. 

Baby Beast:

On 7/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, orlando690 said:

The recommendation is $53. The specs I see are lower than my current one. I know most of the time I don't use the full amount. But in long downloads I do get a boost in internet speed for a while which helps. 

I've tested mine and I know it can reach higher than advertised (wierd I know) but seeing something for 53 and no reviews that answer questions such as what do you get on other devices, what is the speed your paying for, what is the reliability of your speed / connection. 

I'm just traumatized from all the failing wifi adabters/cards I've gotten. 

Yes the thing I linked is 32. Scary. I've seen one bad review and one good. But it has Bluetooth. Thinking of giving it a shot. 

No its $34.99 (unless you mean shipping, I can only see to the UK), I linked to it on the price. https://amzn.to/2XxgzVU

There's literally no point buying the higher model as you can buy the base model and replace the M.2 card with an Intel AX200 off eBay for cheaper.  You would literally have one of the best WiFi cards on the market then.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 7/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

No its $34.99 (unless you mean shipping, I can only see to the UK), I linked to it on the price. https://amzn.to/2XxgzVU

There's literally no point buying the higher model as you can buy the base model and replace the M.2 card with an Intel AX200 off eBay for cheaper.  You would literally have one of the best WiFi cards on the market then.

Wow thanks. I actually only found it at $53. This is definatly a better speced item than the one I saw too. I must have typed something wrong. I'm glad I put off buying the wifi card. 

Baby Beast: