over provisioning

Latislapaloie

There was a post on Tom's hardware about this.

The overprovisioning feature of the Samsung SSD Magician allows a user to shrink or expand the logical volumes created on a Samsung SSD. In other words you can change the default overprovisioning if you want to. I recommend leaving it alone.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278446-32-samsung-magician-provisioning

Quote me to get a reply!

Quote from within Magician:

Over Provisioning sets aside extra free space on the SSD for the controller to use to increase SSD performance and lifespan.

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

I have an 120gb Samsung 840 drive and I have about 11.0 gb used for provisioning. I would recommend doing it because it improves performance.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I have an 120gb Samsung 840 drive and I have about 11.0 gb used for provisioning. I would recommend doing it because it improves performance.

i set it to 5% (11gb) thanks!

Every ssd already does OP (in reality 120/128GB ssd is really a 128GiB; difference in formatting between GB and GiB is then used for OP) , no need to set aside additional space, unless you're crazy about performance consistency.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian